Sr. Product Development Engineer II, Cardiology Platform
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed’s “Patients First!” culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
Abiomed's Cardiology team is focused on rapidly developing the next-generation of percutaneously implanted Impella cardiac pumps, both for acute and long term patient support. Our team is leading or engaged in the development of the CP and RP pump systems, within the following technical areas:
- Access and repositioning sheaths
- On-board sensors / intelligence
- Console, UI, and System performance
- Clinical best practices, training, and pump management techniques
Our team is dynamic and has far ranging technical engagements. We are looking to add a versatile, eager-to-learn, and driven individual to own and collaborate on design initiatives. You will have a tangible impact on the business and ultimately on improving patient care.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead complex design and development projects on novel hemodynamic support devices
- Establish design goals and specifications based on requirements and user needs
- Transform clinical observations into new device concepts
- Turn concepts into reality by rapidly prototyping using a variety of fabrication techniques
- Test and iterate on your designs to develop an optimal solution
- Work with internal and external manufacturing partners to ensure producible designs (DFM)
- Prepare design reviews and present to peers and review team and ensure the technical integrity of the product design
- Address technical and programmatic risks, ensuring effective risk identification, assessment, and mitigation
- Bring solutions to market by collaborating with an exceptional cross-functional team
- Suggest and contribute to initiatives that improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures
- BS in Mechanical, Biomedical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline
- 8+ years mechanical product development experience required; strong preference for experience with class III medical devices for chronic application
- SolidWorks and GD&T expert, experienced in metal and plastic part fabrication
- Successful completion of a medical device development project from concept to launch. Expert in understanding design controls, requirements development & definition, Design Characterization and Design for Manufacturing
- Ability to work and communicate cross-functionally to achieve project objectives
- Team oriented. Proven teamwork skills in a cross-functional engineering environment, ability to motivate and empower team members, set and manage expectations
- Committed to being patient focused and responsive to unmet needs
- Experience and ability interacting with FDA and other regulatory agencies
- May require up to 10% travel – US & EU
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.