Product Development Engineer II, Surgery
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
The ideal candidate for the Product Development Engineer II on our growing Surgical development team will be goal & data-driven, detail oriented and experienced in the medical device industry. Ideally, this new team member will come in with experience in the technical development of class III medical devices for chronic application, bringing new products to market through commercial launches and/or first in human studies. This position will lead complex technical design and development tasked activities, collaborate with senior and junior staff to execute tasks, and coordinate with cross-functional teams to achieve success.
- Use technical expertise, knowledge, and experience to rapidly innovate the companies’ medical devices for use in chronic heart failure patients.
- Lead analyses in mechanical, fluid, vibration, thermal, reliability, magnetic and systems evaluation to support new and existing designs; leveraging strong collaboration with subject matter experts is required.
- Perform literature reviews, engage with physician, and heart failure care professionals, and develop quantitative analyses to unique problem sets spanning materials science, systems thinking, mechanical design, and biomechanical dynamics.
- Evaluate end user needs, standards requirements, and risk evaluations to generate design requirements and engineering targets which include design for manufacturing, assembly, and automation.
- Rapidly build prototypes by using internal machine shop, engineering production line tooling and equipment, and/or external resources.
- Test, and analyze engineering prototypes using statistical analysis in Minitab and apply to the design effort (Multivar chart, t-tests, confidence/reliably analysis, Gauge R&R) to iterate concepts toward extremely innovative yet robust solutions.
- Develop and prepare test protocols, reports, and engineering summaries with expertise in technical writing capabilities.
- Perform process development studies in collaboration with MFG teammates and bring an open mind to design solutions which enable manufacturability internally and at external suppliers.
- Generate 3D CAD models and engineering drawings in Solid works using GD&T with ability to write specifications and to perform tolerance stack-up analyses.
- Prepare and deliver PPT presentations of technical design reviews to cross-functional team members.
- 3 years product development experience; strong preference for experience with class III medical device development
- BS in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering required; advanced degree in related discipline preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, domestically & international (US & EU)
- Experience spending time in clinical environment preferred (i.e. OR, ICU, engaging with heart failure and/or cardiac physicians).
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams that span global operations. Proficient in English verbal and written communication.
- Must enjoy team approach over individual contributions.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.