Scientist, DNA-Encoded Library - Discovery Chemistry
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Scientist, DNA-Encoded Library - Discovery Chemistry, located in San Diego, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, cardiovascular and metabolism, and pulmonary hypertension. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com for more information.
We are seeking a Scientist to support Janssen’s DNA-encoded library (DEL) platform. In this laboratory-based position, this individual will join our DNA-Encoded Library Chemistry group and work closely with members of our broader DEL selection, DEL analytical, and DEL informatics teams to enable our full end-to-end DEL screen workflow. As part of the core DEL team, you will also work closely with Janssen project teams across a variety of targets and therapeutic areas to interpret DEL screening results, coordinate hit resynthesis and influence the early hit-to-lead trajectory from DEL screening campaigns as well as other screening modalities in our integrated hit finding workflow. A passion to learn new laboratory techniques and scientific areas, and the ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary, results oriented environment are key attributes.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Work with autonomy to design experiments, interpret data, and propose next steps.
- Develop and conduct aqueous chemical reactions on DNA–small molecule conjugates.
- Prepare DNA-encoded small molecules through DNA ligation and other molecular biology techniques.
- Purify DNA conjugates by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and other purification techniques.
- Analyze DNA-small molecule conjugate compositions through mass spectrometry, electrophoresis, DNA quantitation and other relevant methods.
- Design new Janssen DELs, sourcing materials required for productions, and interfacing with external DEL synthesis vendors.
- Plan DEL screening campaigns with the DEL core team and other key members in our Janssen screening groups.
- Analyze decoded DEL screen sequencing data to identify suitable hits for follow up while influenced by an understanding of medicinal chemistry principles and desirable hit physicochemical properties.
- Coordinate DEL hit resynthesis with internal and external CRO synthetic resources.
- Interface with project teams and data streams from other screening modalities at Janssen.
- Collaboratively support the advancement of compounds in initial hit identification and early hit expansion.
- Help to evaluate and support the use of new DEL technologies either internally or through partnerships with external companies.
- Work on novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contribute to scientific strategies and goals within a team setting.
- Present data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generate data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Chemistry or a related discipline is required. A Ph.D. degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of medicinal chemistry experience with a Master’s degree or a Ph.D. degree is required.
- Experience in DNA-encoded chemistry, combinatorial chemistry and/or DNA molecular biology techniques is strongly preferred.
- A strong track record of achievement in synthetic chemistry through peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations is required.
- Strong knowledge of modern synthetic and analytical techniques is required.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have strong presentation skills.
- Must have the ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary, results oriented environment.
- The ability to improve established methods and explore new laboratory workflows is required.
- The ability to collaborate with all levels across a matrix organization is required.
- This position will require up to 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.