Sr. Manager Mechanical Engineering
Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineering Manager, within our Robotics & Digital Solutions organization. The location for this position is Santa Clara, CA.
Robotics and Digital Solutions, is part of Johnson & Johnson Med Tech. At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we’re changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve patients’ diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™), and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You’ll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
The Mechanical Engineering Manager is responsible for leading the architecture, development, and execution of robotic mechanical subsystems for projects and programs within the Hardware Engineering R&D Team under the Robotics and Digital Solutions division of Ethicon/JnJ. The successful candidate will inherit a small existing team and project, requiring the manager to both grow the team and contribute technically.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of specific subsystems for the Hardware R&D team.
- Own architecture, design, implementation, testing, and commercialization for relevant hardware subsystems
- Design solutions in a fast-paced environment with a quick development cycle, and support those designs with prototype, analysis, and testing results. Design contributions scoped as time from management responsibilities allows.
- Work closely with cross departmental engineering teams for smooth subsystem and system integration
- Manage and development efforts with 3rd party vendors.
- Establish and own subsystem test strategy for design verification.
- Work closely with Manufacturing Engineering during development through design transfer to manufacturing.
- Manage team and budget for responsible projects.
- Hire and grow team according to budget and plan. Work closely with recruiters for hiring and employee onboarding.
- Lead and participate in refining the design control processes.
- Coach and mentor junior engineers.
- Lead and participate in design reviews to ensure key goals are met.
- Lead and support Risk Management activities, including FMEAs to ensure robust and reliable designs.
- Provide technical project management to ensure development solutions meet the internal needs.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience:
- Minimum B.S. (Mechanical Engineering or other related Engineering field equivalent).
- A minimum of 8 years of practical experience in the design and commercialization of complex electromechanical products, including several of the following: drive systems, motors, gearing, robots, and sensing.
- Proven track record of design leadership for product development.
- Excellent written & verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proven experience with complex mechanisms and automation.
- Experience designing simple solutions for complex medical products that meet or exceed patient and physician needs.
- Proven experience with both high and low power, small and large brushed and brushless motors, various encoder and sensor types and electro-mechanical brakes.
- Proven experience with drivetrain-related components such as gears, lead screws, splines, cams, linear guides, belts, and pulleys.
- Comfortable with all phases of product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification & validation, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing.
- Proven experience and proficiency using CAD to design and document both large and small parts and assemblies.
- Familiarity with making drawings and applicable drawing standards.
- Hands-on with a proven track record of working well in a team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes (including machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, sand casting, cast urethane, etc.)
- Mechanical design and analysis skills including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis.
- Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
- Experience with designing hardware products in an FDA or other regulated industry; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
- 5+ years of mechanical engineering management experience, preferably with complex electro-mechanical systems.
- Proven track record of design leadership for product development from concept through launch.
- Previous engineering experience in the design and development of medical device robotics or complex mechanisms involving motors and electro-mechanical components.
- Experience with SolidWorks.
- Experience with PDM and/or Agile EC.
- Familiarity with IEC-60601-1.
Do you want to be part of a diverse team delivering innovative products to market? Apply today!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $153,300.00 to $259,210.00.