ECMO Platform Leader
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
We are looking for an extraordinary, highly motivated leader for our ECMO platform. This is a highly visible and exciting new role on our growing Engineering Leadership team.
The person will have experience developing innovative and complex Electromechanical systems in the Cardiovascular space, a strong technical foundation in either mechanical, electrical or other engineering disciplines, with a strong business acumen, and a keen ability to communicate & mobilize a cross functional team across multiple locations and functions (Research, Engineering, Regulatory, Quality, Medical, Marketing, and Product Management). This top performer that we are looking to bring on board has a demonstrated history of leading product development teams to execute on plan, will have great program management skills, and understands how to manage in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate for this highly visible opportunity will have a background in developing medical device platforms within the cardiovascular space, with expert-level design control, program management, and product development experience. They must demonstrate an inspirational and collaborative leadership style as Abiomed continues its successful mission to recover hearts and save lives.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
· Form and manage day to day activities of core engineering team
· Provide strong organizational leadership and motivation for the Platform team and foster a success-oriented, accountable, high-morale environment founded on Abiomed Core principles and patients-first culture.
· Serve as a principal spokesperson for Platform team, presenting regularly to the executive leadership team on key initiatives
· Ability develop and execute clear goals to ensure platform objectives and deliverables are met
· Maintain accountability for building / developing / leading high performing team
· Develop product roadmaps to satisfy current and future user need
· Manage external product development partners
· Obtain requirements through physician interaction and drive feedback into design that excite the industry
· Apply and/or develop highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts that may be new to the industry
· Master's Degree in Engineering or Science required, PhD in Engineering or Science and/or MBA preferred
· 8+ years leading a Product Development team in a medical device organization focused on complex electromechanical systems in the cardiovascular space
· Financial ownership of Product Development portfolio, including budget experience preferred
· Able to travel 25% of time within the US and Overseas (post – Covid restrictions)
· Innovation minded, execution driven; Able to lead and manage in a rapid pace, complex environment
· Customer-centric design, development and engagement approach
· Demonstrated success working collaboratively with cross-functional teams
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.