Systems Engineer II
Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission of Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives . With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, and offices in Baltimore, MD, Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,700 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
ABIOMED is redefining team-driven success while reshaping heart recovery. Here, new ideas are welcomed and encouraged, learning is constant, and our dynamic setting enables positive people to do profoundly important work.
The ideal candidate will be goal, data-driven, detail oriented and experienced in the medical industry including bringing new products to market through commercial launches and/or first in human studies. The Systems Engineer II will lead complex technical tasks and engineering process improvements, collaborate with senior and junior staff, and develop new designs and products.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Build on current medical, technical, and biomedical developments related to company products and heart recovery technologies.
• Manage execution of work for timely completion of tasks per plan without direct supervision. Prepare, present and lead design reviews to attain agreement on project tasks with peers and review team.
• Evaluate and analyze device performance data utilizing technical and clinical knowledge to drive technical understanding and data-driven improvement plans.
• Facilitate development of SW as the product owner with the SW and algorithm teams
• Fabricate and evaluate prototypes with assistance from junior staff, technical support team (Machine Shop, Technicians and Designers) and suppliers.
• Develop and update design documentation including test protocols, reports, and engineering summaries to support both quality and regulatory documentation.
• Perform system engineering, mechanical, fluid, vibration, thermal, reliability, magnetic and systems analyses to support new and existing designs.
• Suggest, contribute, and champion initiatives to improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures.
• Ability to work in cross-functional teams that span global operations. Proficient in English verbal and written communication. Must enjoy team approach over individual contributions.
• BS in Biomedical/Mechanical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline, MS preferred.
• Applied understanding of mechanical, electromechanical, and systems design.
• 3-5 years related experience required
• Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly, effectively, and frequently (oral and written) within the internal project team and international.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Working knowledge of data analysis tools (Minitab, Matlab, etc.) and SAP desired.
• May require up to 10% travel – US & EU
Applicants must provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with an FDA approved or authorized vaccine for COVID-19 or have a valid medical/religious exemption.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.