Sr Manager Optical & Mechanical Design
Ethicon is recruiting for a Sr. Manager Optical & Mechanical Design, Advanced Imaging R&D , located in Santa Clara, CA, Cincinnati, OH, or Raritan, NJ. Other J&J sites or remote work may be given special consideration.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Sr. Manager Optical & Mechanical Design is a key team member for our Advanced Imaging and Visualization product pipeline, leading and conducting a wide range of assignments in collaboration with the team. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building transformational surgical capabilities and working in a multi-functional environment.
Essential Responsibilities :
- Manage a group of highly skilled optical and mechanical engineers to develop innovative endoscopic surgical visualization products (endoscopes, laparoscope, light sources) including concept, design, simulation, fabrication, testing, debugging, and system integration.
- Collaborate with systems, electrical, and software groups to define system design specifications, risk analysis, and testing plans.
- Directs activities to ensure new product development activities are achieved within agreed upon scope, timeline, and budget.
- Manage external vendors or contractors to deliver subsystems that meet design specification and reliability targets.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with internal and external requirements (e.g. compliance with FDA regulations, etc.).
- Recruits, coaches and develops organizational talent. Fosters a diverse workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential.
- Bachelor’s degree in optical, mechanical, or electrical engineering, or related degree (e.g. physics) is required.
- An advanced degree is beneficial.
- 10+ years’ experience in R&D is required.
- Previous people management experience inclusive of direct reports is required.
- Demonstrated track record of building and leading high performing direct reports and teams is required.
- Previous in depth experience and technical background developing optical systems is required.
- Optical systems development experience and technical competency with some or most of the following is highly desirable:
- Understanding of specifications and requirements for complex optical, mechanical, and electrical systems, including compliance to relevant standards and regulations
- Familiarity with optical design software packages (i.e. Zemax or Code V)
- Familiarity with illumination design, including LED and laser diode light sources, and fiber optic illumination pathway, stray light
- Previous experience driving development and implementation of advanced optical designs and mechanical innovations, enhancing image quality and overall product performance
- Experience in mechanical design with proficiency in SolidWorks or equivalent, and dimensioning/tolerancing, space claims, and mechanism design (e.g. timing and sequencing).
- Previous experience with test equipment and method development, qualification, and validation; optical and mechanical test
- Established network of camera, optical, and mechanical component suppliers and experience managing them
- Experience with precision fabrication and mounting of miniature optical components.
- Designing optical and mechanical components for reliability in harsh environments, e.g. cleaning & sterilization
- Previous experience with thermal modeling and simulation, e.g. Ansys
- Previous experience developing medical device equipment; minimally invasive surgical visualization instruments; in particular, laparoscopes and light sources is highly beneficial.
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of regulated medical device development processes, standards, and guidelines, including but not limited to 21 CFR 820, ISO 13485, ISO 14971, and IEC 60601. Direct experience creating and managing a Design History File (DHF) is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to perform highly under complex matrixed organizational structures is required
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization is essential.
- Ability to travel up to 40%, international and domestic is required.
The anticipated pay range for this position is 131K-225.4K
For more than 130 years, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) have been part of our cultural fabric at Johnson & Johnson and is woven into how we do business every day. Our commitment to respect the dignity and diversity of all is embedded in our Credo.
We know that the success of our business depends on having the best talent in a workforce that reflects the diverse markets we serve around the world and an inclusive culture that values different perspectives and life experiences. We provide an environment not only to fulfill your career aspirations, but also to support your physical and mental well-being. At Johnson & Johnson, we offer a variety of outstanding health and financial benefits, including competitive compensation, 401k, pension, medical, dental, and vision insurance, exercise reimbursement, flexible time off, paid volunteer and parental leave, and more!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com