Legal Project Manager
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $93.8 billion in 2021 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Johnson & Johnson Global Legal Organization is recruiting for a Legal Project Manager to be located in New Brunswick, NJ. We are seeking someone to help us achieve our mission of contributing to the success of Johnson & Johnson and advancing Our Credo culture.
The Legal Project Manager will work closely with Johnson & Johnson Global Legal Organization lawyers, professional associates and external counsel, primarily responsible for supporting the Intellectual Property (IP) Team. The position will work closely with team members on a global and regional level, coordinating and running administrative elements of IP strategic projects and processes of importance to the Global Legal Organization.
The Legal Project Manager will have strong management and leadership skills with a proven track record of making an impact, developing and executing strategies with superior results in both the short and long term, as well as developing strong relationships with internal constituents, including finance, human resources, information technology, and procurement.
Main Responsibilities Include:
- Project Management Skills and Business Acumen: Leverage business knowledge and expertise to create, lead and successfully execute project plans, monitor and review project progress, timelines, and critical milestones. Adjust schedules and plans as needed. Facilitate and coordinate team meetings and minutes.
- Project Administration: Ensure on-time delivery of projects while also ensuring that stage gates and governance are properly adhered to during the execution of the project. Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects with competing deadlines. Ability to manage and adhere to project budgets.
- Data Modeling and Reporting: Support the IP team in modeling, maintaining, and reporting patent budgets and other data to provide clarity, visibility, and tracking of key success parameters against Department goals and objectives; work with technology and analytics business partners to develop or leverage an internal reporting system to enhance data capture and reporting related to Global Legal Organization IP Team.
- Communication: Ability to effectively communicate project status to partners/leadership throughout the project, including identifying, explaining, and resolving risks and issues related to the project. Will be the PMO knowledge expert and liaison for the senior business partners, keeping the organization appropriately informed of Program and/or New Product risks/mitigations and developments.
- Ensure Team Effectiveness: Clarify project scope from an initial concept, and manage scope changes throughout the project's life. Ensure there is accountability at a team and individual level, sufficient resource allocation, and integration of company activities with the objective of meeting all project and business commitments.
- Facilitation: Prepare for and drive regular and structured meetings within the Global Legal Organization, including with leadership teams, to ensure various projects are linked and aligned with the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Process Oriented: Collaborate within the team and J&J Project Management community to establish and implement a project management process/playbook based on the needs and requirements of the J&J Global Legal Organization. Establish clear, attainable, and measurable goals at the outset and track progress against these goals throughout the project. Generate data as appropriate to measure the progress and outcomes of the project.
- Establishing Efficiencies: Seek out and develop process improvement initiatives to assist lawyers, legal assistants, paralegals, and staff in finding efficiencies within the systems and management of work.
- A minimum of a Bachelors' Degree is required. Degree with a focus in Legal, Finance, Business, Management Consulting, Engineering, or appropriate related field preferred.
- An Advanced Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of relative professional experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of leading projects, process improvement, project management, and/or relevant experience.
- Experience with data entry or IP administration on other IP teams is desired.
- Business experience within the following areas: Project Management, Engineering, Research and Development, and/or IT is preferred.
- Relevant professional certification is preferred, e.g., PMP, Lean/Six Sigma, APICS, FPX.
- Proven project leadership skills, with direct responsibility for managing budget and schedule.
- Knowledge and experience working with data manipulation tools (e.g., Excel) and visualization tools (e.g., Tableau)
- Track record of strong previous experience in Project Management, managing, and/or working with cross-functional project teams
- Ability to build trust and influence without authority, to lead and constructively challenge cross-functional project teams and business partners to achieve project goals.
- Ability to work independently, navigate priorities, identify trade-offs, and move a group to a decision. Knows when to resolve within the team vs. when to escalate.
- Experience with leadership, relationship management, conflict resolution skills, and excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, strong time management, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a matrix environment.
- Proven track record of meeting project objectives in a fast-paced environment by successfully managing, tracking, and implementing successful strategies to optimize scope, quality, time, and cost while adhering to the highest ethical standards and Credo values.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues, and developing solutions is preferred.
- This position is located in New Brunswick, NJ, and may require travel domestically and internationally.
In accordance with applicable disclosure requirements, the anticipated base pay range for this position is $97,000- $166,750. The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. For additional general information on Company benefits, please go to: https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .