Product Development Engineer II, preCARDIA
Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission of Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives . With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, and offices in Baltimore, MD, Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,700 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
The preCARDIA engineering team is working to develop technologies for early feasibility studies for a novel treatment for heart failure patients. The ideal candidate for the Product Development Engineer II role will have experience in the medical device industry and be adaptable and enthusiastic about collaborating as part of a cross-functional team to drive development across all stages of product development from conceptualization through product launch.
Ideally, this new team member will come in with experience in the technical development of class III medical devices for chronic application, bringing new products to market through commercial launches and/or first in human studies. This position will lead complex technical design and development tasked activities, collaborate with senior and junior staff to execute tasks, and coordinate with cross-functional teams to achieve success.
- Use technical expertise, knowledge, and experience to rapidly innovate the companies’ medical devices for use in chronic heart failure patients.
- Lead analyses in mechanical, fluid, vibration, thermal, reliability, magnetic and systems evaluation to support new and existing designs; leveraging strong collaboration with subject matter experts is required.
- Perform literature reviews, engage with physician, and heart failure care professionals, and develop quantitative analyses to unique problem sets spanning materials science, systems thinking, mechanical design, and biomechanical dynamics.
- Evaluate end user needs, standards requirements, and risk evaluations to generate design requirements and engineering targets which include design for manufacturing, assembly, and automation.
- Rapidly build prototypes by using internal machine shop, engineering production line tooling and equipment, and/or external resources.
- Contribute to, author, and manage design history file documents – for example user input, product requirement, risk management, and test report documents.
- Develop and prepare test protocols, reports, and engineering summaries with expertise in technical writing capabilities.
- Perform process development studies in collaboration with MFG teammates and bring an open mind to design solutions which enable manufacturability internally and at external suppliers.
- Generate 3D CAD models and engineering drawings in Solidworks using GD&T with ability to write specifications and to perform tolerance stack-up analyses.
- Prepare and deliver PPT presentations of technical design reviews to cross-functional team members.
- 3 years product development experience; strong preference for experience with class III medical device development
- BS in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering required; advanced degree in related discipline preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, domestically & international (US & EU)
- Experience spending time in clinical environment preferred (i.e. OR, ICU, engaging with heart failure and/or cardiac physicians).
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams that span global operations. Proficient in English verbal and written communication.
- Must enjoy team approach over individual contributions.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.
At Abiomed we reward results in competitive ways! This includes a rewarding patient first career, health and wellness benefits, paid time off, and 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match. The base salary range for this role is $72,000.00 - $108,000.00 . This role is also eligible for a competitive bonus that is based off employee’s performance and can be accelerated based off results.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.