Staff Software Engineer
Johnson & Johnson, Robotics and Digital Solutions (RAD) group is recruiting for a Staff Software Engineer located in Santa Clara, CA.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Staff Software Engineer plays a key role in the development of a sophisticated robotic surgery device. This individual will be a technical expert supporting software infrastructure and architecture, in addition to supporting software processes for the Robotic Surgery team at J&J Robotics and Digital Solutions. We are looking for a candidate who can lead, mentor, and represent a portion of the software organization in cross-functional discussions. The candidate is flexible, self-motivated, curious and passionate about revolutionizing the world of medical robotics. This position reports to the Director of Software.
- Participate as a hands-on technical leader and mentor of junior engineers
- Understand and recommend software architecture and process improvements
- Represent the software R&D organization on a cross-functional project team, reporting on technical status, risks, and dependencies
- Work with software, user experience, human factors, and systems engineering teams to develop, implement, and test requirements
- Report on technical status and risks
- Support the software development lifecycle and integrate new technologies and standard processes
- Identify, manage, and mitigate technical and project risk through coordination with R&D teams and external collaborators
- Collaborate with partner organizations including Quality, Regulatory, and Clinical
- Support and lead IEC 62304 processes, such as software risk assessment, in coordinate with Software Quality
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
Experience and Skills:
- 10+ years professional experience in software development
- 3+ years experience with hands-on technical leadership
- Deep knowledge of modern C++
- Demonstrated ability to represent R&D SW and communicate successes and challenges to a multi-functional audience
- Experienced technical mentor of junior engineers
- Ability to work in a regulated environment in compliance to ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 820
- Experience with Qt/QML
- Experience with people management and project management
- Understanding of software development for medical devices and IEC 62304, including documentation and risk assessment
- Experience with medical devices from concept to delivery
- Experience with Jira or other defect tracking tools
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
The anticipated base range for this position is $128k - $220,915.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.