Director, Quality Strategy & Deployment, Abiomed
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
Director, Quality Strategy & Deployment will provide strategic, organizational, operational, leadership and decision support to the Quality VP and leadership team. The Director will work with VP the to develop and shape the multi-year strategy; manage key strategic initiatives/programs and lead the operational aspects of the, such as Financials, short/long term goal setting, liaising within Abiomed Quality, Commercial, Supply Chain and R&D strategy leads.
The role of Director, Quality Strategy & Deployment will drive the development and operationalization of the Strategic Plan. The Director will partner with business strategy leaders and Quality & Compliance leaders in the COE`s, Franchises and Enterprise (where applicable) to assure alignment of Franchise/Function Strategic Plan with the MedTech Q&C Strategic Plan ensuring the linkage back to the strategies & aspirations. They will establish and track outcome measures to monitor progress over the strategic horizon. Additionally, they will collaborate and connect with other peers across the sector strategy roles to ensure consistent communication, alignment and execution
The role of Director, Quality Strategy & Deployment will be accountable for the establishment and management of the short and long-term Business plan. They will partner with Finance to lead the Long-Range Financial Planning process for their VP and the MT Q&C roll up, ensuring the outcomes are aligned to the Franchise/Function and MT Q&C Strategic Plan. The Director will partner with business strategy leaders and Quality & Compliance leaders across MedTech to assure alignment of the LRFP and Business Plans to company and segment strategies & aspirations. They will establish the portfolio management process, utilizing established technologies to manage all projects, investments (capital and expense) and savings that deliver the Strategic Plan. They will establish outcomes measures by which we will monitor the progress of achieving the long range and annual business plans, in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
The Director will engage /coordinate across Franchises and COE’s through well-established standard processes, timelines and deliverables. They will provide Strategy & Deployment end to end support and Manage the Project Portfolio for their VP of Quality.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities :
Deploy Strategic Programs and Processes:
· Deploy strategic programs that deliver Standard Work supporting MedTech, Franchise or Function
· Represent the Quality & Compliance on any Special Programs, Communities of Practice, Centers of Excellences led by Enterprise, MedTech Supply Chain or other Quality & Compliance organizations.
· Contribute and involvement in the community of practice with the Strategy Leads to coordinate all activities related to the business cycles and portfolio management.
· Maintain, sustain and improve business processes and deliverables in support of streamlined standard work
· Partner with Strategy leads from enterprise, MedTech, Abiomed R&D and supply chain to deliver elements of the business cycle.
· Support Communications and Change Management Strategy to deliver Strategic Programs, Franchise/Function Strategy and other programs that deliver standard work across MedTech and/or Franchise/Function.
· Drive the establishment of the yearly Goals and Objectives, and publish quarterly updates
· Support the Franchise/Functional leaders to identify strategic programs that deliver strategic plan through annual goals & objectives, identifying program gaps in the strategic plan
· Lead and Deploy Project Management Office (PMO) Leadership and PMO Excellence in support of the projects and/or programs in Quality G&O’s.
· Achieve business alignment and strategic direction driving aligned strategic investments and cost actions
· Identify and secure program sponsorship and leadership of each goal and objective
· Lead the preparation and communication for Monthly or Quarterly CQO reviews
Establish the Quality Strategic Plan
· Lead Q&C VP & LT to establish their Strategic Plan
· Partner with all business strategy leaders and Enterprise Quality S&D leaders
· Define key performance indicators and track and report on progress
· Enable strategy communication and understanding
· Gather actionable internal and external insights through effective strategy input processes, including environmental scans, customer insights, industry trends and benchmarking processes
· Lead and coordinate benchmarking processes for Abiomed 2quality
· Develop and maintain external partnerships to gather quality inputs that highlight industry trends
Lead/Support Business Cycles:
· Partner with community of practice to align on process, output, initiatives, and overall strategy at the individual function/franchise to ensure alignment with MedTech
· Lead the LT to establish the Q&C Long Range Financial Plan and Business Plans for the Quality VP
· Manage and take appropriate actions on J&J allocations impacting Quality
· Provide recommendations to the Leadership Team to ensure that the portfolio is supporting the strategic intent and that investments and resources are deployed towards maximizing business outcomes.
· Enable communication and understanding of Long-Range Financial Plan and Business Plans
· Define key performance indicators for functional budget expenses, Capital, CIPs, Headcount and track and report on progress in applicable forums (i.e. MedTech Q&C, Supply Chain, etc.)
· Track and implement changes to the Long-Range Financial Plan, Business Plan and all Headcount reporting that result from changes to operating model, Supply Chain transformation or other activity impacting the business.
· Coordinate the refresh and update of the quality portfolio and lead portfolio prioritization for the process during business planning cycles and for cost optimization initiatives.
· A visionary, strategic thinker with superior capability to bring clarity to complex concepts and to mobilize and align the organization to deliver on the strategy and translate strategy into financial forecasts and business plans
· Experience establishing and implementing strategic plans
· Experience establishing and implementing long range financial plans and annual business cycles for departments
· Deep knowledge of regulated healthcare environment and strong business acumen in medical devices
· Functional knowledge of / experience in Quality & Compliance.
· Experience in leading organizations through cost optimization activities and providing guidance on opportunities
· Ability to analyze strategic investments to make effective trade-off recommendations, balancing risk while leading through change.
· Experience in establishing and managing programs and reporting progress against investments and savings
· Create a direct and indirect organization with a culture of global customer focus and the ability to deliver
· Build interdependent partnerships, and internal and external relationships
· Superior team building and leadership skills.
· Strong blend of tactical and strategic management skills with ability to influence stakeholders.
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization
· Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse groups of people in a global and matrixed organization
· Risk Based and Customer Centric Mindset
· Ability to influence others, managing competing internal stakeholder priorities and dealing with ambiguity.
· Strong relationship development, conflict resolution, and team building instincts, with the ability to build partnerships both internally and externally
· Executive presentation skills are required
· Build interdependent partnerships, and internal and external relationships
· Strong blend of tactical and strategic management skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Experience in Medical Devices / MedTech
· Experience in Supply Chain, Commercial, Finance, and/or R&D is preferred
· Organizational change management experience is preferred
· Project Management experience, to include resource management, FTE demand, risk analysis, cost optimization
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.