Senior Director, Government Affairs & Policy, Taiwan
Purpose of Position:
This position is to serve across both sectors of J&J (Pharm and MedTech) by working with external stakeholders to shape the prioritized healthcare policies that are relevant to the company and the innovative healthcare industry, including but not limited to access and pricing, regulatory, IP, tax, supply chain and trade policies.
Taiwan is a sizable market for J&J with an advanced universal healthcare system that faces the common challenges in access and pricing but also increasingly complicated geopolitical challenges. As such, the position requires an executive capable of contributing as a though leader with strong business acumen and strong experiences in government affairs who can partner with business leaders and key functional leaders in the development and execution of impactful and innovative external affairs strategies critical to sustainable growth of Taiwan business. This will also require leadership in challenging the status quo externally and internally in an effective and credible manner.
This role is primarily responsible for identifying the key policy areas important to business and for developing & implementing strategic external engagement plans in partnership with the business- and regional/global partners. The Taiwan GA&P Head will work proactively to shape the external environment and influence decisions by policy makers, government- and regulatory bodies, while partnering with business- and key functional leaders as well as industry groups in Taiwan. This leader will also need to partner closely within APAC region and globally to ensure our efforts in Taiwan is consistent with J&J global position and will the market effect on policies that support the innovation and patient access to innovative medicines and medical technologies.
The position will be a member of APAC GA&P leadership team and will also sit on Taiwan’s sector leadership teams.
- Lead and foster strategic stakeholder relationships with government and politicians, government agencies, industry groups and advocacy groups; Drive thought leadership and maximize J&J impact in shaping the external environment by ensuring appropriate representation in and engagement with trade associations, advocacy organizations, international forums and non-traditional stakeholders; Strategically build and strengthen J&J’s credibility externally and J&J’s seat at the table in key government initiative and discussion
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the drivers for each of the five key stakeholder groups: physicians, patients, providers, the payers and the policy makers; Contribute to external landscape analysis from perspectives of government and policy impact in the development of business segments’ short and long term strategy; Prioritise government affairs and policy opportunities aligned to each sector’s business growth and in strengthening J&J’s reputation, based on deep understanding of business insights
- Provide advice to and collaborate with sector business leaders and key functional leaders on governmental issues to develop contingent strategies business and or crisis management; Monitor the internal and external environment to ensure corporate integrity is established and fostered consistently across the products and services, leadership and all operational aspects of the business.
- Proactively work with both internal and external stakeholders on all legislative and regulatory matters from policy development, interpretation and implementation that are relevant to J&J
- Establish strong working relationships and communications with business leaders and key functional leaders to ensure consistent alignment of goals, priorities and be a role model how GA&P best practice and sound corporate governance is achieved; Maximize GA&P integration with business and other internal partners by facilitating discussions especially in challenged situations.
- Build a work environment that brings out the best in everyone, encourage culture of learning and continuously raising the bar in everything we do. Demonstrate Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) are prioritized.
- Play a key role in talent development strategy in local and regional context and in mentoring GA&P talents within AP and globally.
- Develop a budget plan and implements budgetary control policies to establish financial accountability in Taiwan.
- Establish strong working relationships across the GA&P, Corporate Affairs and Market Access functions, contributing ideas, strategies, project leadership in an innovative, thought provoking and collegiate manner.
- As a key member on the APAC GA&P Leadership Team and the Taiwan local Leadership Teams, the GA&P Leader will also be required to spearhead and lead special initiatives across the Enterprise to further J&J reputation at local and regional levels.
Key Performance Indicators
- Operate as a role model by ensuring that everything they communicate and undertake is consistent with the J&J Credo.
- Develop a strong understanding for the J&J business including our people, operations and external operating environment.
- Lead the strategic planning process to align a well-defined Government Affairs strategy which is integrated with the broader business imperatives of the Company.
- Work with the leadership team to develop and support the talent development for GA&P
- Design and implement key engagements to enhance the J&J reputation, and effectively manage external stakeholders and key issues.
- Develop a well-documented relationship plan and map outlining key stakeholders with whom the business needs to have a relationship, the interdependencies between those stakeholders and the alignment of J&J executives to each stakeholder.
- Provide strategic counsel to the senior leadership on policy- and external strategy for Taiwan.
- Work collaboratively with the regional and global GA&P organizations to represent Taiwan on projects and councils for the functional representation.
The leader must:
- Have strong presence, outstanding interpersonal skills, excellent leadership and influencing skills, an established level of credibility and strong business acumen.
- Demonstrate a mature, adaptive and flexible disposition to credibly and effectively interact with a range of senior level executives across the global business and broader market segment.
- Have extensive experience in formulating and leading significant issues management and government relations.
- Be highly articulate, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have the ability to anticipate emerging issues of importance to the company and the sector, and to prioritize appropriately.
- Preferably working knowledge of the industry regulatory & healthcare policy environment coupled with a strong ability to clearly articulate a plan that enables J&J to understand the risks, opportunities and implications of industry/government initiatives that may impact the business with strategies to manage issues both proactively and reactively.