Associate Data Scientist
An opportunity has arisen for an extraordinary and enthusiastic Associate Data Scientist who is passionate to learn and grow their skills in crafting, developing, and fielding data science solutions that drive impact for patients and for Janssen.
As a member of the Global Finance Data Science team, you will report to the Data Science manager, and will leverage your technical and communication skills to work on maintaining existing and developing new innovative data science models and algorithms. Your ability to learn quickly, demonstrate enthusiasm, bring a depth of machine learning understanding, and an appreciation for developing great products for our customers will be paramount to your success in this role. Specifically, you will:
- Maintain machine learning pipelines (I.e. exploratory data analysis, build and maintain features, train and validate machine learning models).
- Collaborate with data scientists, analysts, project managers, develop, and implement new analytics solutions to high-priority problems our stakeholders face.
- Support the building and optimization of statistical and AI ML models by identifying valuable data sources and undertake preprocessing of structured, unstructured data.
- Apply modelling techniques to build, test and validate basic models using simpler and cleaner datasets.
- Learn and upskill on additional data scripting languages or statistical / mathematical software as required.
- Participate in internal and external forums, committees, conferences, associations, etc.
- Seek out data science trends and best practices to integrate into J&J practices and methods.
It's all about YOU
Key to your success in this role will be your strong analytical skills combined with the ability to diagnose issues and enthusiasm for data problem solving. Other requirements include:
- Masters, PhD or equivalent degree in a STEM discipline is required. Examples include but are not limited to Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Physics, Pharmacy, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Informatics, Computational Biology or a related discipline.
- Proficiency in Python, SQL and/or R.
- Demonstrated knowledge of machine learning algorithms (like tree based models, GLMs and neural networks) beyond their mere application; being able to understand and clearly communicate the why.
- Strong ability to interpret data with a statistical mindset, and visualise the data using tools like matplotlib, seaborn or similar.
- (Preferred but not required) Experience with version control.
- (Preferred but not required) Experience with cloud services like AWS, GCP, or similar.
- Enthusiastic to learn, strong growth mindset, and a can-do attitude.
- Strong team player and you can work effectively in a collaborative, fast paced, high achieving environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, meaning being able to clearly articulate what you’re working on, what your reasoning is, and speaking up when you need help.