Senior Manager - IT Lab Services
The Global Sciences Business Technology team at the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson is recruiting a Senior Manager – IT Lab Services. The preferred locations are near J&J lab sites in Spring House, PA; Beerse, BE; La Jolla, CA; or South San Francisco, CA.
Business Technology teams are passionate about providing innovative technology solutions to enable Janssen’s therapeutic discovery and development organizations build innovative medical solutions to address unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
Within Global Sciences, the objective of the Experimental Execution Product Group is to support and accelerate R&D innovation, by delivering to our R&D laboratories around the world, best in class lab informatics solutions and drive operational excellence.
As a key member of the product group team, the IT Lab Services Manager owns the end-to-end accountability of the site IT lab support product, its strategy, OKRs, roadmap, portfolio, and investment.
The IT Lab services manager will provide technology and organizational leadership to globally drive the operational efficiency & automation in our R&D Labs, enabling the use of laboratory data to drive decisions
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Function as a strategic technology partner to R&D colleagues. Understand their scientific challenges, translating their scientific ambition into technology solutions
- Collaborate closely with IT product & platform teams, local and global (Technology Services, Data Sciences, Laboratory Systems, Intelligent Automation & Analytics, High-Performance Compute, Data Platforms, etc.) to deliver impactful technology solutions
- Develop a 3-year roadmap for IT Lab operations and automation capabilities, in line with technical/business strategy, continuously driving optimization, rationalization, divesting legacy applications, migrating them to global platforms
- Responsible for both people (direct and indirect) as well as systems and projects. Lead a team of about 2-3 direct reports, as well as contractors
- Accountable for the operations of research platform & systems in partnership with suppliers and technology services, ensuring that all tickets are resolved within SLA and change management processes are followed as defined and platforms are patched and upgraded to supported level.
- Define and run implementation plans for IT initiatives impacting labs (Windows upgrades, security policies, …)
- Partner with lab managers & lab operations on prioritization of requests, projects, investments based on business value and criticality and ensure new capabilities costs are included in their budget
- Understand core lab IT platforms and broader technology landscape to drive business value
- Manage external vendors and deployment partners to ensure they meet their contracted milestones, agreed-upon timelines within agreed budget
- Establish a close partnership with key lab equipment suppliers like Waters, Agilent, Hamilton, … to gain knowledge of the trends, their roadmap, future capabilities, and their potential applicability within Janssen R&D environment
- Define, when relevant, in collaboration with R&D lab manager and Lab operations instrument vendor IT strategy to meet the needs of the business
- Address our labs data capture and automation challenges and opportunities, taking into account and understanding the current and future technical architecture
- Accountable for site reliability, in close collaboration with TS delivery & Lab Ops teams, including the definition and recording of appropriate metrics
- A minimum of 5 years proven experience
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related fields
- Bilingual in both science and technology
- Understanding of the drug discovery process
- Experience working with lab & scientific solutions
- Consistent track record of project delivery
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with business, technology partners and vendors to translate business requirements to technology solutions and labs IT support strategy.
- Excellent communication skills, can speak across various forums and communicate to broad, diverse audiences
- Ease of working in an environment with competing priorities, multiple partners, multifunctional teams, and evolving needs.
- Experience of Technology Lifecycle Management