Head of Legal, MedTech China
The Head of Legal, MedTech China provides broad legal counsel and support at the senior management team level as well as at the operational level through the management of a team of more than 10 Law Department members. This role will be responsible for providing strategic and operational legal advice and counsel in all areas of law, supporting the MedTech China business and helping it achieve its goals, while protecting the company’s rights, interests and reputation. The Head of Legal, MedTech China will be a member of the local management team, reporting to the VP Law, MedTech, Asia Pacific.
- Provides legal counsel, strategic guidance and support to J&J MedTech China. Takes leadership responsibility as a member of the China MedTech Leadership Team and positively influences management to make well-considered decisions and to achieve compliant success with the business.
- Manages and develops a team of more than 10 Law Department members that provide day-to-day legal services for the J&J MedTech businesses in China.
- Proactively assesses legal risks to the operation and implements policies and procedures to address and manage those risks including preventative actions, trainings and communications.
- Provides guidance on, and ensures compliance with, relevant laws and regulations and J&J policies applicable to the operations of J&J MedTech China, including any relevant industry association codes.
- Advises on business development initiatives.
- Proactively partners and works with other J&J lawyers in the market, region and globally to drive local alignment with market, regional and global legal best practices and knowledge sharing.
Possesses the following skills and capabilities
- Strong leader with good judgment and ability to think strategically, with a drive for compliant results and strong sense of ownership
- Good business partnering skills and proven ability to counsel senior management on complex legal matters
- Client oriented with the ability to proactively connect and engage with colleagues to find practical solutions and opportunities while prudently assessing the risks involved and advising accordingly
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively across all levels of a matrixed organization
- Comfortable working as part of a team and speaking up when necessary
- Objective thinker who is able to advance ideas and influence others
- Ability to manage conflicts in an open and constructive manner
- Ability to lead by example and ensure high ethical, legal and compliance standards and to be proactive in engaging the organization to identify opportunities to enhance ethics and compliance practices and procedures
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and simplify issues for colleagues and to work innovatively and proactively
- JD or equivalent law degree
- License to practice law in China (preferred)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Minimum 15 years PQE
- Experience working in multinational corporations, ideally with experience in the healthcare industry
- Broad corporate experience and experience with advising senior leaders of business units