Senior Finance Director - J&J Innovation
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $94.9 Billion in 2022 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 135,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
The mission of J&J Innovation is to unlock the potential of life science innovation no matter where it originates. Johnson & Johnson Innovation teams aim to solve the world’s toughest health challenges and drive scientific breakthroughs that improve health. J&J Innovation is comprised of Janssen Business Development, J&J’s Innovation Centers, Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation and JLABS. Together, these capabilities create the foundation for enabling partnerships and transactions that enhance our R&D pipelines.
The Senior Finance Director, Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) is responsible for providing direct finance and business leadership to the East North America (ENA) Innovation Center located in Cambridge MA and Global JLABS as well as leads overall JJI reporting and holds a leadership role on the J&J Innovation Global Leadership team.
More specifically in this role, the Senior Finance Director will hold the following key responsibilities:
1) Provide financial leadership to all East North America transactions (licensing, options, r&d collaborations, strategic externalizations). Partner with Pharm and Medtech R&D Finance and business teams on all transactions.
2) Partner with the head of the Global JLABS team to manage operations and optimize value to J&J through the JLABS model.
3) Oversee business and financial reporting for J&J Innovation segments.
4) Support pan JJI initiatives
5) Provide day to day financial leadership to the J&J Innovation Leadership Team comprised of J&J leaders in all geographies.
6) Lead and develop the Finance team
This role reports to the VP Finance – Pharm BD & EI and will partner with a variety of Finance leaders such as sector and R&D CFOs, Corporate Finance functions such as Treasury, Investor Relations, J&J Development Corporation, Tax, and Corporate Controller Teams as well as Corporate business functions such as Legal.
This role requires a talented, highly motivated individual who can think creatively and develop and analyze complex transaction structures, incorporating a deep understanding of both external dynamics and internal J&J needs and processes.
ADDITIONAL PERSPECTIVE ON KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Provide financial leadership to all East North America transactions (licensing, options, r&d collaborations, strategic externalizations). Partner with Pharm and Medtech R&D Finance and business teams on all transactions -
a. Lead and develop financial analyses and valuations for all ENA transactions including research collaborations, licenses, and options. Frame and articulate accounting and tax impacts, analyze financial returns, and highlight key risks and opportunities to the enterprise. Provide guidance and support on deal structure and terms, contractual language, and negotiations with external partners. Facilitate the transaction approval and execution process to ensure all appropriate reviews and approvals occur in line with the Worldwide Procedures and sector governance. Assume a leadership role in presenting a transparent and balanced view of transactions to Senior Management to enable decisions. Ensure seamless communication and coordination across the team and between various key stakeholders inside and outside of JJI. These include various levels of leadership, the R&D and Finance leaders for each of the Janssen TA’s and Operating Companies, Corporate M&A, JJDC, Corporate Tax, and the GTAAS team.
2) Partner with the head of Global JLABS team to manage operations and optimize value to J&J through the JLABS model.
a. The leader will maintain and implement business, finance, and operational processes that enable JLABS to operate efficiently and effectively. The leader will play a key role in defining emerging JLABS operating models.
3) Oversee business and financial reporting for J&J Innovation segments
a. The leader will provide insightful value creation metrics for all JJI supported transactions. The leader will liaise with the Strategy and Operations team to support and enhance portfolio reporting and provide monthly and ad hoc transactional updates to JJI leadership.
4) Support pan JJI initiatives
5) Provide day to day financial leadership to the J&J Innovation Leadership Team comprised of J&J leaders in all geographies
a. This role sits on the Johnson & Johnson Leadership Team and provides finance and strategic guidance on a broad range of external innovation and operational issues. The leader will build and maintain regional networks with the external community and internal business, and finance leadership counterparts. The leader will also assist in shaping JJI’s business models, including governance, strategy, and team structure. The leader will consult with senior JJI leadership across a range of strategic planning and financial matters on an ongoing basis.
6) Lead and develop the Finance team
a. The Senior Finance Director will provide people leadership and create development opportunities for three individuals in the Portfolio and Analytics and JLABS finance team and will ensure a high performing, engaging and fulfilling Credo based work environment.
- Unfailing integrity
- Accounting/Finance/Economics degree with a minimum of 10+ years relevant finance experience
- Experience with people/team management
- Strong collaborative, communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability to build trust among senior business leaders, direct reports, and finance colleagues
- Prior Pharmaceutical Business Development or R&D experience preferred
- Prior Commercial experience preferred
- Ability to work through significant complexity and ambiguity
- Exemplary leadership skills creating high performing teams, developing people to their highest potential and providing an inclusive environment
- Demonstrated ability to influence business partners with fact-based data
- Ability to assess and to frame risks and risk mitigation.
- Solution oriented individual with excellent communication and presentation skills. Must be able to present complex financial information to both finance and non-finance audiences at various levels in the organization
- Willingness to learn and understand new business opportunities
- Primary Location: New Brunswick or Cambridge, MA; Travel 20-30% if located in NJ area
For U.S. applicants, in accordance with applicable disclosure requirements, the anticipated base pay range for this position is $160,000 to $276,000. The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/ performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, long-term incentive, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. For additional general information on company benefits, please go to: https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.