Manager, Payroll and Travel
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Accounting team at Relativity is responsible for the financial integrity of the entire organization. Our functions include general ledger, accounts payable, payroll, financial reporting, audit, tax and compliance, accounts receivable, credit, cost accounting, and business data strategy.
By collecting and maintaining the business’s financial activities in accordance with US GAAP, we are able to provide accurate and timely financial reports for strategic planning and decision-making purposes to management, investors, and other stakeholders. This empowers the company to make smart business decisions as we pave the way to a multiplanetary future.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and direct internal payroll team and third-party post-payroll processor responsible for timely and accurate multi-state payroll processing on biweekly and semimonthly schedules
- Strategically identify and pursue opportunities for greater payroll system and process efficiency and reliability, including touchpoints with Accounting and People team stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local wage & hour and tax laws, including new state registration as needed
- Responsible for all Year-End Payroll functions, including W-2 processing, annual 401k employer match audit, and 1099 processing as necessary
- Partner with HRIS team to maintain Workday payroll system and strategize system updates for efficiency
- Ensure proper payroll and benefit accounting and compliance as well as monthly reconciliation with general ledger for month-end close
- Assist in periodic audits and reporting requests as needed and take necessary steps to correct any discrepancies, e.g. external financial, workers’ comp, 401k, and other compliance audits
- Respond to inquiries on payroll reporting, flux analysis, tax analysis, and/or general payroll questions
- Manage business travel policy and travel booking system, including assisting traveling employees with service issue escalations
- Build and maintain strategic travel vendor relationships
- Prepare and maintain accurate payroll and travel records and reports, including ad hoc reporting as needed
- Develop and coach payroll staff
- Assist with other duties and projects as assigned
What you need to know:
- Payroll team leadership experience in a fast-paced, multi-state environment
- 7-10+ years of hands-on payroll administration experience
- Extensive working knowledge of FLSA, federal, state, and local wage & hour and tax regulations
- Outstanding people and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience processing payroll in Workday
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Must be exceptionally detail- and results-oriented
- Must have high ethical standards, including a strong sense of confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to operate independently and have the strong desire to work as a member of a team
- Capable of performing and delivering high quality results under high pressure
- Ability to collaborate in a cross-functional global environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and can think outside of the box
Nice to have but not required:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in accounting or a related field
- Experience administering a travel program
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace