Aira is Visual Interpreting.
We are an assistive technology company on a mission to remove barriers and make the world more accessible. We operate 24/7/365 in three languages worldwide and provide service wherever there is an internet connection.
Our service is live, human-to-human professional assistance for people who are blind or have low vision. Using the powerful combination of a camera and the Aira app on someone’s device of choice, a professionally-trained visual interpreter (an Aira Agent) will assist by visually interpreting what is in the camera’s view or on screen, from describing to reading, from explaining to navigating – just about anything, safely and securely.
Aira is used in any industry – such as higher education, technology, retail, healthcare, transportation, and more. Our robust and growing network of partners committed to inclusion and accessibility includes airports, banks, major software companies, financial firms, retailers, and universities. With millions of calls to date, our visual interpreters empower individuals to overcome accessibility barriers every day by providing live, on-demand access to visual information.
By joining this organization, you will have a major impact on the lives of the millions of people worldwide who are blind or have low vision.
The Aira Agent is the most essential component of our service, often considered the ‘secret sauce.’ As the world’s only certified visual interpreters, Agents are top-tier professionals dedicated to delivering an exceptional experience for members of the blind and low vision community.
As an Agent, using our proprietary technology platform, you will answer live video calls from our blind and low vision customers. You will then assist, one at a time, with real-time tasks in countless unique scenarios. Please note you will not be on camera during these live video calls.
From assisting with daily personal routines to professional activities to navigating a dream journey around the globe, Aira Agents focus on providing live, personalized support for each customer’s unique requirements during live calls. Here is a video to show what the role encompasses and what it’s like to be a part of Aira.
Working as an Aira Agent is unlike any other job. We've developed our own training and certification process to ensure you'll be ready and able to assist our customers accomplish any task. While our paid training will expand your communication skills, teach you to use a mix of third-party tools and proprietary technologies, and polish your customer service skills, it’s the actual real-world calls that will challenge and shape your worldview.
Objectives of this Role:
- Embody the Aira brand by always being helpful, consistent, creative, and kind.
- Provide an exceptional customer experience by utilizing training and tools (proprietary and third-party) efficiently and accurately to support blind and low vision customer needs.
- Contribute to the organization’s growth and success by being a core member of the Agent team by supporting other Agents.
- Continue to learn and develop extensive Agenting capabilities via ongoing education and training.
- Clearly and accurately present on-demand visual information to blind and low vision customers.
- Display a composed, and professional demeanor that inspires trust and supports the Aira mission.
- Produce accurate reporting and communicate effectively with leadership to improve Agent and customer experience.
- Engage and support the team by participating in team-building exercises, making helpful suggestions, encouraging other Agents, and contributing to overall organizational growth and development.
- Maintain strict data privacy standards and confidentiality.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Follow all of Aira’s policies and procedures. Adhere to Aira’s values, beliefs, and principles.
- Anticipate Explorers’ needs and provide exceptional customer experience.
- Seek and act on constructive feedback; apply learnings from others to enhance your own abilities.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to uncertainties or changing priorities and various types of calls and situations.
- Work effectively with all people equitably regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, physical or mental disability, age, veteran or military status, or marital status.
- Make timely and quality decisions, and improve productivity and efficiency by drawing on experience and data to anticipate potential problems before they arise.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with team members and Explorers (the name we use to refer to our customers).
- Set high standards of performance for self and others.
- Assume responsibility and accountability for completing assignments and tasks successfully.
- Responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Follow Visual Interpreter Code of Professional Conduct
Key Skills and Qualifications
The Aira Agent:
- Is an enthusiastic, eager, and articulate communicator.
- Is mission-driven, and has innate problem solving skills.
- Adapts well to new technological systems and processes.
- Is comfortable using PCs, Macs, smartphones, applications, and online platforms.
- Has strong spatial awareness and a keen sense of direction, with the ability to orient themselves well using 2D and 3D maps and visual cues.
- Has strong investigative research skills and is tenacious in the pursuit of information.
- Utilizes creative problem-solving skills and thrives under pressure.
- Possesses a strong vocabulary and knows how to utilize descriptive language effectively.
- Has a strong attention to detail.
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Fluent in English.
- Possess US citizenship.
- A private workspace with no background noise, that is free from family, friends, pets, visitors, etc.
- A computer system that meets our required technical specifications:
- Minimum of 8 GB RAM
- Windows or Mac computer using Windows 11 or Mac OS High Sierra (no Chromebooks)
- Use of headphones with a noise-canceling microphone attached. It must have a USB connection.
- Minimum internet speed of 25 Mbps
- Must additionally complete Aira Agent Prescreen and Aptitude Test
- We are not currently hiring from the following states at this time: CA, D.C., IL, MA, NJ, NY, OR, WA, or internationally based
Minimum Schedule Requirements:
- Minimum 40 hours a week
- All Agents must work a weekly minimum of 8 hours during the weekend designation
- Friday 12 PM - 10 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 4 AM -10 PM PST*
- A background in customer service, a call center environment, or technical support.
- Experience working with people with disabilities or with accessibility technology.
- Knowledgeable of the full range of accommodations used by the blind and low vision community (e.g. JAWS).
- Bilingual in French or Spanish (spoken and written conversational proficiency).
- We are powered by people
- We pursue excellence & hold ourselves accountable for results
- We embrace change and agility
- We act with integrity, transparency, dignity and respect
- We are champions of inclusion, diversity and accessibility
Aira’s Operating Principles
- Agility: We reconsider priorities and solutions when presented with new information, scenarios, and opportunities.
- Focus: We operate with a plan, based on our roadmap and aligned to our priorities.
- Diversity: We embrace a workplace that celebrates personal differences and the way those differences make us all stronger.
- Scalability: We expect and demand repeatable, documented processes to replace ad-hoc operations, so we can scale growth and support career movement.
- Fiscal Responsibility: We make financial (or investment) decisions using radical optimism coupled with disciplined, fiscal conservatism.
- Transparency: We (Employees and Agent Staff) engage in open, honest, and direct, 2-way communication because we trust one another.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: We support the community in matters related to health, employment and independent living. This includes making our service available as broadly as possible to support these commitments.
- 100% remote work - always was, always will be.
- Self-selected schedule, updated weekly.
- Supportive, integrated team environment with ongoing training opportunities.
- Paid training.
- $15 per hour, 1099 contractor role.