Legal Counsel, Government and Defense
Autonomy is one of the leading technological advances of this century that will come to impact our lives. The work you’ll do at Applied will meaningfully accelerate the efforts of the top autonomy teams in the world. At Applied, you will have a unique perspective on the development of cutting-edge technology while working with major players across the industry and the globe.
Applied Intuition provides software solutions to safely develop, test, and deploy autonomous vehicles at scale. The company’s suite of simulation, validation, and drive log management software enables development teams to create thousands of scenarios in minutes, run simulations at scale, and verify and validate algorithms for production deployment. Headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Detroit, Washington, D.C., Munich, Stockholm, Seoul, and Tokyo, Applied consists of software, robotics, and automotive experts with experiences from top global companies. Leading autonomy programs and 17 of the top 20 global OEMs use Applied’s solutions to bring autonomy to market faster.
About the role
At Applied you will:
- Support the review and negotiation of a variety of government and defense transactions, including prime contracts, software licensing agreements, and related agreements with third parties (subcontract agreements, teaming agreements, non-disclosure agreements), and RFQ/RFP/RFI/ROMs.
- Interpret and explain contract terms and conditions as well as regulations that apply to government contractors (including cybersecurity and export compliance) for internal clients and collaborate across functional teams to ensure compliance with those terms.
- Develop and assist in the implementation of scalable and sustainable legal operations processes, programs and tools to support the legal team’s effective and efficient delivery of services for the government and defense team
- Lead or support various compliance activities, reporting requirements, and internal investigations as required
- Assist in drafting company policies and prepare employee government contracts and compliance training and education
- Proactively manage other duties that may arise as part of a small legal team in a high growth start-up
We're looking for someone who has:
- In depth knowledge and practical experience advising clients on government procurement laws and processes including the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), particularly with respect to data rights and IP protections
- Experience in negotiating terms, costs, and contract requirements in proposals to obtain contract awards
- The ability, through your own experience and knowledge or by working with outside counsel, to guide Applied and ensure compliance with various regulations related to EAR and ITAR controlled items, Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI), NIST, hiring foreign nationals, etc.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and active membership in one state bar
- 4+ years' of experience with the activities described above.
- Ability to travel (up to 20%)
Nice to have:
- Experience with some combination of law firm/in-house/Department of Defense work
- An active security clearance, or the ability to obtain one, at Secret level or higher
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Applicants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal and state law. Applicants should be aware that for external-facing roles that involve close contact with Company employees or other third parties on the Company's premises, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. The Company will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis taking into account the particular position.
Applied Intuition is an equal opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor. Consequently, the parties agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and that these laws are incorporated herein by reference. These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans
or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. These regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. The parties also agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of Executive Order 13496 (29 CFR Part 471, Appendix A to Subpart A), relating to the notice of employee rights under federal labor laws.