Government Affairs Manager
Autonomy is one of the leading technological advances of this century that will come to impact our lives. The work you’ll do at Applied will meaningfully accelerate the efforts of the top autonomy teams in the world. At Applied, you will have a unique perspective on the development of cutting-edge technology while working with major players across the industry and the globe.
Applied Intuition provides software solutions to safely develop, test, and deploy autonomous vehicles at scale. The company’s suite of simulation, validation, and drive log management software enables development teams to create thousands of scenarios in minutes, run simulations at scale, and verify and validate algorithms for production deployment. Headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Los Angeles, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Munich, Stockholm, Seoul, and Tokyo, Applied consists of software, robotics, and automotive experts with experiences from top global companies. Leading autonomy programs and 17 of the top 20 global OEMs use Applied’s solutions to bring autonomy to market faster.
About the role
We are looking for a government affairs manager to join our fast-growing Government Affairs team. You will develop and execute legislative strategies, shape strategic communications, and manage engagements in Congressional and Executive branches. Duties will include monitoring legislation related to autonomy and AI in commercial and defense sectors, developing positions and responses, and representing the company in front of key policymakers. The government affairs manager will have the opportunity to develop internal management processes, lead strategy discussions, and engage with Applied customers.
At Applied, you will:
- Develop, maintain, and build networks of relationships with Members of Congress and Congressional staff on relevant Appropriations and Authorization Committees/Subcommittees
- Shape federal legislative priorities, political strategy, and policy development; understand business priorities, growth opportunities and potential risks to inform policy objectives
- Work closely with Applied’s external government affairs consultants and industry partners
- Draft legislative language, policy briefings and presentations, hearing testimony, and position papers
- Build coalitions across interest groups for virtual testing, AV safety, and modeling and simulation
- Monitor and analyze federal legislative proposals
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to ensure successful completion across any special projects
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 4+ years of Capitol Hill, federal government, and/or issue advocacy experience
- Familiarity with federal legislative landscape and Appropriations/Authorization processes
- Expertise in autonomy, emerging technologies, and/or transportation policy
- Established bipartisan relationships with relevant Congressional offices and committees
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills and highly detail-oriented
- Proven track record of execution
- Willingness to register as a federal lobbyist
Nice to have:
- Lobbying experience
- “Can-do” attitude – no task is too small
- Graduate degree with a focus on legislative process, technology, and/or transportation
- Technical background, particularly related to autonomy or artificial intelligence
- Experience with the Google suite of tools (e.g., Gmail, Google Docs, Google Drive)
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Applicants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal and state law. Applicants should be aware that for external-facing roles that involve close contact with Company employees or other third parties on the Company's premises, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. The Company will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis taking into account the particular position.
Applied Intuition is an equal opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor. Consequently, the parties agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and that these laws are incorporated herein by reference. These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans
or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. These regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. The parties also agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of Executive Order 13496 (29 CFR Part 471, Appendix A to Subpart A), relating to the notice of employee rights under federal labor laws.
Something looks off?