Legal Counsel - Commercial
About Applied Intuition
Applied Intuition is a vehicle software supplier that accelerates the adoption of safe and intelligent machines worldwide. Founded in 2017, Applied Intuition provides a simulation and validation platform for various industries such as automotive, trucking, construction, and more. 18 of the top 20 global automakers rely on Applied Intuition’s solutions to shorten development cycles, deliver high-quality systems, and accelerate the production of modern vehicles with confidence. Applied Intuition is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, with offices in Ann Arbor, MI, Washington, DC, Munich, Stockholm, Seoul, and Tokyo. Learn more at https://applied.co.
Please note that we are an in-office company, which means the expectation is that you would come in to your Applied Intuition office 5 days a week.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced tech transactions attorney to join our legal team. This is a uniquely strategic role with a mix of both internal and external-facing responsibilities in an area of increasing importance and growth for Applied Intuition. In short, this role will make an impact. You will report to our Head of Legal and primarily support Product, Engineering, Sales, Finance, and Marketing. You will also have opportunities to expand your role as part of a small legal team in a high growth start up.
Our ideal candidate is a business-minded lawyer who is focused on execution, prepared to lead on important deals, and comfortable making thoughtful and creative decisions. The role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency but also someone who enjoys being part of a supportive team dedicated to providing top legal service to our internal clients. You must be willing to roll up your sleeves and be comfortable working in ambiguity.
At Applied, you will:
- Review and execute complex commercial contracts with a diverse range of customers and partners from automotive OEMs, AV startups, and other players in the AV ecosystem
- Conduct diligent research into legal issues and recommend revisions as needed across a range of legal documents and agreements
- Ensure the reliable and timely execution of the company’s day-to-day legal activities
- Advise the leadership team on legal matters critical to the growth of the business
- Develop and assist in the implementation of scalable and sustainable legal operations processes, programs and tools to support the legal team’s effective and efficient delivery of services for the broader company
- Lead or support various compliance activities, reporting requirements, and internal investigations as required
- Proactively manage other duties that may arise as part of a small legal team in a high growth start-up
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience structuring, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including software licenses, strategic partnerships, joint development agreements, data sharing arrangements, and SaaS agreements
- Experience negotiating and drafting IP and material contracts representations in stock purchase, merger, and asset purchase agreements in financings
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and active membership in one state bar.
- 4+ years' of experience with the activities described above.
- Ability to travel (up to 20%)
Nice to have:
- Experience with some combination of law firm and in-house work
- Computer science or engineering degree
The salary range for this position is $65,000 USD to $400,000 USD annually. This salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on the Company's compensation practices.
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Applicants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal and state law. Applicants should be aware that for external-facing roles that involve close contact with Company employees or other third parties on the Company's premises, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. The Company will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis taking into account the particular position.
Applied Intuition is an equal opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor. Consequently, the parties agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and that these laws are incorporated herein by reference. These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. These regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. The parties also agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of Executive Order 13496 (29 CFR Part 471, Appendix A to Subpart A), relating to the notice of employee rights under federal labor laws.