Software Engineering Lead - Calibration
About Applied Intuition
Applied Intuition is a vehicle software supplier that accelerates the adoption of safe and intelligent machines worldwide. Founded in 2017, Applied Intuition provides a simulation and validation platform for various industries such as automotive, trucking, construction, and more. 18 of the top 20 global automakers rely on Applied Intuition’s solutions to shorten development cycles, deliver high-quality systems, and accelerate the production of modern vehicles with confidence. Applied Intuition is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, with offices in Ann Arbor, MI, Washington, DC, Munich, Stockholm, Seoul, and Tokyo. Learn more at https://applied.co.
Please note that we are an in-office company, which means the expectation is that you would come in to your Applied Intuition office 5 days a week.
About the role
We are looking for a software engineer with expertise in calibration systems for autonomous vehicles or mobile robots. Your contributions will focus on designing and building a calibration pipeline for a growing fleet of vehicles. You will drive a critical foundational piece of our AV program by ensuring that every vehicle’s configuration is well represented digitally. In this role you will exercise engineering excellence to unlock both developer and production workflows at scale.
In addition to your engineering contributions, by working in our dynamic and customer-focused team culture, you will be a key contributor for a new business that builds on and informs best practices in the nascent autonomy industry. We move fast and focus on excellence, for our products and for our business. If you are hands-on and looking for a place to have a multiplying effect on making autonomous systems a reality, Applied Intuition is the place for you!
At Applied Intuition, you will:
- Design and implement a Calibration program that manages the lifecycle and deployment of both sensor intrinsic and extrinsic calibration for a variety of vehicles of different sensor configurations.
- Build state-of the art algorithms for both offline calibration in the factory / lab and online calibration to account for sensor variation due to temperature or other on-road and off-road conditions.
- Design processes around handling Calibration requests from both internal and external teams, as well as manage the operations around data collection, processing, and deployment.
- Enable sensor fusion and work with a variety of sensors including Camera, Lidar, Radar, IMU, GNSS, and more.
- Drive an excellent product experience by designing a user-friendly Calibration procedure, as well as exposure of online Calibration status through HMI integration.
We're looking for someone who has:
- Passion for building a best-in-class calibration system that is aware and robust to rough terrain for an off-road vehicle.
- MSc in calibration, state-estimation, optimization, or closely related field
- 5+ yrs of experience building software components or (sub) systems that address real-world calibration challenges
- Hands-on experience with more than one domain relevant software framework or tools, such as middlewares, benchmarking suites, data sets and related pipelines, or algorithmic libraries
- Deep understanding of the core calibration concepts, world representations and transforms, optimization, the intersection of perception and state-estimation, and noise characteristics of various sensors.
- Knowledge about how to analyze and compare the performance of various hardware solutions for Calibration
- C++ and/or Python programming expertise
Nice to have:
- PhD in calibration, non-linear optimization, state-estimation, or closely related field
- Has done hands-on work in relevant state-of-the-art offline and online calibration algorithms, and experience with both early and late stage sensor fusion for state estimation.
- Deep understanding of inertial and perception sensors, state of the art industry solutions, and common approaches for production systems
- Experience working with managing calibration on large fleets of vehicles
The salary range for this position is $65,000 USD to $400,000 USD annually. This salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on the Company's compensation practices.
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Applicants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal and state law. Applicants should be aware that for external-facing roles that involve close contact with Company employees or other third parties on the Company's premises, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. The Company will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis taking into account the particular position.
Applied Intuition is an equal opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor. Consequently, the parties agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and that these laws are incorporated herein by reference. These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. These regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. The parties also agree that, as applicable, they will abide by the requirements of Executive Order 13496 (29 CFR Part 471, Appendix A to Subpart A), relating to the notice of employee rights under federal labor laws.