Product-Led Sales Lead
Our Mission and Vision
Aptible’s mission is to empower every developer to focus on their ideas, not their infrastructure. We aim to fundamentally transform how software developers interact with the cloud.
We believe that the next 10 years of cloud and software development will look markedly different than the last 10 years. The historical focus has been on the mass lift-and-shift of old data center workloads into the cloud. The future focus will be on building higher level abstractions that allow developers to focus on application code without worrying about the underlying infrastructure.
As of yet, no fullstack platform-as-a-service (PaaS) is both great to start and great to scale. That's our opportunity: Aptible has already shown it's great to scale with, and in 2023, our priority will be making it great to start with. By doing so, we believe we will provide a compelling alternative, not just to other PaaS solutions, but also to infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), for product-focused developers.
The macroeconomic environment has never been more conducive to PaaS: The increasing complexity of IaaS, slowing growth of engineering team sizes, and lack of investment in and poor strategic decisions by the incumbent PaaS platform (Heroku) all foreshadow the need for a new PaaS that's both great to start with and great to scale with, for every developer and every team.
Our Platform and Roadmap
Aptible has been developing its PaaS since 2013. To date, most of the focus has been on ensuring the platform was great to scale with for the hundreds of companies and thousands of developers who rely on it for production workloads.
Now, we’re investing both in making Aptible easier to get started with and supporting increasingly sophisticated use cases while more efficiently managing resources and costs. We’re already a good part of the way towards our "great to start" mission: Aptible Managed Databases provision in 97 seconds as compared to 15 minutes for RDS; Aptible Apps provision in less than 90 seconds as compared to 3-5 minutes for ECS. We think we can optimize both further.
Currently, our platform today supports over 40,000 daily events like deployments and resource provisioning against the over 50,000 containers that run apps and databases for our customers. We expect these numbers to rapidly grow in 2023, as we invest in acquiring new customers faster through improvements to our product-led growth strategies.
We're a small team of engineers—and gamers, musicians, runners, bakers, outdoor enthusiasts, coffee connoisseurs, and more.
We've been a globally distributed team since 2013, and have always focused on our company culture, probably more than most any other team of our size.
As Aptible has grown, we've learned how to empower each team member to make an outsized impact. Employees have highlighted the team's “thoughtfulness, energy, and grit” and Aptible's focus on “always looking for ways to improve.”
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We prioritize diversity within our team and value different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We’re seeking an entrepreneurial Sales Lead who’ll serve as a bridge between our customers and our product.
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Aptible Team. As our first Sales Lead, you’ll play a critical role in building Aptible’s product-led sales motion from the ground up. Acting as parts SDR, AE, Sales Ops, User Researcher, and Sales Enabler to start, you’ll improve activation rates, drive signups, and, ultimately, nurture signups until they become paying customers.
Your First 18 Months in Outcomes
- First 3 Months: You’ll be responsible for effectively managing our inbound lead flow. Performance Indicators: Product Qualified Accounts (PQA), Conversion from PQA to Successful Trial (Payment Method Entered) and New Customer
- First 6 Months: Your scope will expand to include the development and management of outbound pipeline generation channels. Additional Performance Indicators: Marketing Qualified Accounts (MQA), All Funnel Step Conversion Rates
- First 12-18 Months: The successful candidate will be able to help us scale our GTM Team. In particular, we will jointly align around the best hiring strategy for accelerating growth in pipeline and improvement in conversion rates.
You Should Apply If (Must-Haves):
- You have led on growing pipeline from a technical audience, primarily through email.
- You have successfully nurtured signups to become activated, and, ultimately, paying customers.
- You have experience with Sales Ops Tools (e.g. Hubspot, Apollo, etc.) to both create and send 1:1 and 1:Many (or automated) email campaigns.
- You have experience in Sales or Customer Success at a PaaS / Dev Tools / PLG Company.
- You are intrinsically motivated and willing to create your own opportunities by searching through the treasure trove of product data in Hubspot.
- You are excited to “step up” and drive our GTM processes forward as our first product-led sales hire.
You Should Apply If (Nice-to-Haves):
- You have collaborated with Sales Engineering, Support/Pre-Sales in helping to nurture prospective customers.
- You have used creative means to build pipeline with “sales allergic” personas (e.g. social selling, partnerships, etc.).
- You have experience hiring and managing BDRs and SDRs, or other Sales and CS roles.
You Shouldn’t Apply If:
- Your experience with pipeline generation is limited to outbound channels.
- You have no experience with PLG or nurturing technical audiences, or aren’t willing to learn quickly.
- You want to be a People Manager on Day 1.
Our Compensation Philosophy
We believe that having a transparent and highly competitive compensation philosophy is the only way we'll be able to attract great team members and retain them. Aptible aligns 100% of our employees' total compensation with the 90th Percentile for the role. We provide the data so you can see exactly how we determined your compensation, and we automatically keep your compensation up-to-date as the market changes.
The Total On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for this position is $200,000-300,000 USD. Within this range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related qualifications and experience.
We plan to use attainment of an ambitious but fair quota as part of the calculation of your compensation, and you’ll be the first current Aptible employee with a quota. We plan to start you on ramp for a reasonable amount of time, and then align your quota to the attainment of PQA targets as well as product feedback achieved from both PQAs and anti-PQAs (those qualified leads that never actually activate on our platform). As our first Sales Lead, we expect to set quota collaboratively with you, and you will have the support of the full team in achieving quota. Notably, we anticipate building towards giving you the ability to overachieve quota.
- Work from Anywhere: Enjoy the flexibility of working from home, a local co-working space, or your favorite coffee shop.
- Open PTO Policy: We encourage you to take the time you need, when you need it — for any holiday or matter of personal importance.
- Paid Parental Leave: We offer job-protected Paid Time Off — 14 Weeks, Fully Paid — for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child.
- Learning & Development Stipend: We offer an annual stipend of $3,000 USD to use towards experiences that improve you professionally and inform your work at Aptible.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance: We offer comprehensive health care for employees, with 100% of premiums paid by Aptible.
- Hardware & Software: We help you create your ideal office setup and provide any software you’ll need.
- Company Travel: We come together in-person at least two to three times per year, in locations around the globe.
Our Interview Process
We seek to make the experience of interviewing with us as delightful, efficient, fair, respectful, and transparent as possible.
A typical process at Aptible might include the following steps. Please note that this may vary by role, and details will be provided to you early on in the process.
- Introduction to Aptible with the Hiring Manager
- 2-3 Skills-Based Interviews with Aptible Team Members
- Take-Home Project (You will be compensated for completing this.)
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your Recruiting Coordinator or Hiring Manager know.