Our Mission and Vision
At Aptible, we envision a world where developers achieve more with less infrastructure. We’re building the platform that empowers developers at companies of all stages of development to move beyond the traditional method of managing infrastructure—DIY with expert infrastructure and platform engineers on AWS, GCP, or Azure. We’ve done this through our secure, compliant, reliable, and scalable Platform as a Service that’s been used by thousand of developers, hundreds of companies, and dozens of publicly traded/unicorn companies since 2013.
As we move forward, we’re doubling down on making it easy to get started with Aptible for even seed stage companies while also increasing support for advanced or bespoke use cases that enterprises require.
Since 2013, Aptible’s platform has grown to support a large infrastructure footprint. Our platform predates Kubernetes. A glimpse into how Aptible works:
- Aptible supports over 40,000 daily infrastructure events across our customer base, from deployments to resource provisioning.
- 50,000 active app and database containers across hundreds of customers, kept online with a 99.95% SLA.
- Aptible Managed Databases launch in just 97 seconds, outpacing AWS RDS's 15 minutes.
- Aptible Apps are up and running in under 90 seconds, faster than AWS ECS's 3-5 minutes.
Aptible describes its commitment to remote work as 'Remote Forever,' because we’ve been remote since we were founded in 2013. We've always invested heavily in company culture, perhaps more so than any team of our size. Our culture and values emphasize finding and retaining team members who exhibit our Traits, Commitment, Resilience, Engagement, Accountability, Transparency, and Empathy (CREATE for short). Employees often highlight our team's "thoughtfulness, energy, and grit" and our relentless pursuit of improvement. Discover more about our culture in Aptible's Culture Hub.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We prioritize diversity within our team and value different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. For example, throughout the interview process, you will meet a variety of interviewers from various backgrounds, functions, and genders in order to have a fair and balanced process. We encourage you to ask us questions about opportunities for growth at Aptible and hear stories of how each team member is supported in their role.
We encourage people from marginalized and underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
About This Role
We’re looking for a dynamic Engineering Manager to lead our Platform and Retention Squads at Aptible. The Platform Squad is responsible for improving engineering productivity and platform reliability, security, infrastructure, and profitability. The Retention Squad is responsible for making improvements to the product features most heavily used by our customers.
- You’ll own execution in your team, ensuring that every team member is executing effectively at a predictable pace.
- You’ll coach and develop engineers, ensuring that they regularly receive actionable feedback.
- You’ll create and execute on a plan of action to improve the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work for your team.
- You’ll develop a clear, agreed upon backlog for technical debt, and a plan for execution.
- You’ll ensure that we’re striking a good balance between supporting other teams (e.g. Customer Reliability Engineering, Customer Success, Marketing) and moving the product forward.
You Should Apply If (Must-Haves):
- You have a passion for working on developer tools and infrastructure.
- You have experience and a strong interest in managing high-performing engineering teams — more so than developing any specific technology.
- You have experience with distributed systems and our specific technology stack (AWS, Docker, Ruby).
- You’re excited to be a Player-Coach, the target split being 30% Player, 70% Coach.
You Should Apply If (Nice-to-Haves):
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- You have experience building developer tools or leading a Platform Engineering Team.
- You have experience working with teams of varying sizes, from teams of 10 engineers, to much larger. Ideally, some of this experience would be as an Engineering Manager, but exposure as an Individual Contributor is still useful.
You Shouldn't Apply If:
- Your management experience is low autonomy or purely technical in nature. We’re looking for someone with experience being accountable for making high-level decisions, e.g. who to hire, how to prioritize different kinds of work.
- You’re a Player-Coach who wants to be the best engineer on the team. We’re looking for a Player-Coach who wants to be the best manager, and is focused on maximizing the impact of their team.
- You have a technology bias, or affinity for specific languages and/or narrow technologies.
The projected salary range for this position is $216,549 - $275,000. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all U.S. locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by a range of factors, including but not limited to job-related competencies, experience, and knowledge. The projected salary range is just one component of Aptible’s total compensation package for employees.
- Work from Anywhere: Enjoy the flexibility of working from home, a local co-working space, or your favorite coffee shop.
- Open PTO Policy: We encourage you to take the time you need, when you need it — for any holiday or matter of personal importance.
- Paid Parental Leave: We offer job-protected Paid Time Off — 14 Weeks, Fully Paid — for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child.
- Learning & Development Stipend: We offer an annual stipend of $3,000 USD to use towards experiences that improve you professionally and inform your work at Aptible.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance: We offer comprehensive health care for employees, with 100% of premiums paid by Aptible.
- Hardware & Software: We help you create your ideal office setup and provide any software you’ll need.
- Company Travel: We come together in-person at least two to three times per year, in locations around the globe.
Our Interview Process
We seek to make the experience of interviewing with us as delightful, efficient, fair, respectful, and transparent as possible.
A typical process at Aptible might include the following steps. Please note that this may vary by role, and details will be provided to you early on in the process.
- Introduction to Aptible with the Hiring Manager
- 2-3 Skills-Based Interviews with Aptible Team Members
- Take-Home Project (You will be compensated for completing this.)
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your Recruiting Coordinator or Hiring Manager know.