Senior Harness Design Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We are well-funded by some of the best investors in the business and have raised over $400 million to date. We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
Senior Harness Design Engineer
The Harness Engineer is responsible for designing wire harnesses for both flight spacecraft and developmental use. This includes working with mechanical and electrical design engineering teams to execute a rigorous design process, and working with contract manufacturers and an internal production team to build harnesses to the highest possible quality standard. Finally, you'll support integration planning and operations including on-vehicle routing, installation, and connections.
The ideal candidate has a breadth of experience across both electrical and mechanical design of aerospace harnesses, deep technical understanding of relevant materials and components, and high attention to detail. If high levels of ownership, designing and building harnesses that will go to space, and helping to change the world sounds like a fun challenge - this might be the role for you.
- Define and document electrical interconnects through coordination with system, subsystem, and unit design engineers.
- Design harness schematics and harness drawings for flight and test applications based on product requirements, including proper configuration management through a design release process.
- Prepare and release manufacturing assembly drawings and bills of materials (BOMs).
- Establish harness/cable routing on spacecraft and assist with integration planning.
- Provide support to harness production and integration teams to ensure quality and reliability.
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause, create actionable items, and system improvements.
- Create, maintain and communicate detailed schedules and status updates.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or equivalent technical degree
- 7+ years of professional experience in system-level harness design
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Solidworks, NX, or similar)
- Experience creating engineering drawings and bills of material (BOMs) for manufacturing
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Experience with Zuken design software
- Hands-on experience building electrical harnesses with both solder- and crimp-style connectors for aerospace applications
- Has worked with contract manufacturers to outsource harness builds
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc)
All our positions offer a compensation package that includes equity, robust benefits, and bonuses.
What we offer:
What we offer:
Base pay is a single component of Astranis's total rewards package, which may also include equity in the form of incentive stock options, performance bonuses, high quality company-subsidized healthcare, disability and life insurance benefits, flexible PTO, 401(K) retirement, and free on-site catered meals.
Astranis pay ranges are informed and defined through professional-grade salary surveys and compensation data sources. The actual base salary offered to a successful candidate will additionally be influenced by a variety of factors including experience, credentials & certifications, educational attainment, skill level requirements, and the level and scope of the position.
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
All employees of Astranis are required to be vaccinated by the start of their employment. Mandatory vaccinations support our commitment to making our workplace and public facilities as safe and welcoming as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals who are not able to get the vaccine due to qualifying medical or religious reasons.