Senior Antenna Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We are well-funded by some of the best investors in the business and have raised over $400 million to date. We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
As a Senior Antenna Engineer you will be responsible for the design, qualification, and procurement of antenna system components for ongoing production as well as R&D programs. You will optimize system-level antenna and RF performance and introduce improvements at the component and system level. Required hardware design efforts include feed array elements, polarization and frequency selective surfaces, reflector systems including sub reflectors, and diplexers and OMT's for geosynchronous communication satellites. This work regularly entails cross-disciplinary collaboration with structural, thermal, and communication engineers to achieve overall system requirements.
You will also work with our business development team to propose and develop novel antenna solutions that satisfy customer requirements, and use those investigations as an opportunity to improve the performance of our antenna systems.
- Leverage cutting-edge design tools to realize high-performance communications antenna systems with on-orbit flexibility to meet evolving customer demand.
- Work with vendors to design and procure space-qualified antenna and RF components and validate their performance through clean-room and anechoic chamber testing.
- Co-design antenna systems in conjunction with other technical disciplines including Structural/Thermal and Software-Defined Radio to achieve overall system requirements.
- Work with the sales team to propose novel antenna systems that satisfy customer needs.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- Ability to relocate to San Francisco to work onsite as we design, integrate and test mission critical hardware.
- 5 - 15+ years of experience in relevant industry or academic roles.
- Demonstrated ability to implement high performance antenna systems in research or industry settings.
- Strong ability to collaborate with diverse engineering disciplines to collectively design and build performant RF/antenna systems, including mechanical, thermal, systems and software engineering.
- Strong antenna and microwave engineering fundamentals including theory of impedance matching, filters, combiners, amplifiers, etc.
- Experience measuring components using vector network analyzers and antenna measurement ranges, either anechoic or near field scanners.
- Demonstrated ability to solve engineering challenges in innovative and creative ways.
- Capable of using industry-standard design tools such as CST, HFSS, or TICRA and scripting to solve engineering problems using Matlab or Python.
- Experience with digital beamforming, active feed networks, or reconfigurable antennas.
- Understanding of co-site interference and antenna siting optimization.
- Experience with link budget and system calculations including EIRP, noise figure, and G/T.
- Experience designing waveguide components (OMT, MUX, diplexer, filters, polarizers, etc).
- Experience with deployable reflectors.
- Familiarity with aerospace antenna design and test principles.
- Experience testing for EMI/EMC performance and understanding of mitigation practices.
- Experience integrating RF power amplifiers. Examples include traveling wave tube. amplifiers (TWTA), solid state power amplifiers (SSPA), and Low Noise Amplifiers (LNA).
All our positions offer a compensation package that includes equity, robust benefits, and bonuses.
What we offer:
What we offer:
Base pay is a single component of Astranis's total rewards package, which may also include equity in the form of incentive stock options, performance bonuses, high quality company-subsidized healthcare, disability and life insurance benefits, flexible PTO, 401(K) retirement, and free on-site catered meals.
Astranis pay ranges are informed and defined through professional-grade salary surveys and compensation data sources. The actual base salary offered to a successful candidate will additionally be influenced by a variety of factors including experience, credentials & certifications, educational attainment, skill level requirements, and the level and scope of the position.
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
All employees of Astranis are required to be vaccinated by the start of their employment. Mandatory vaccinations support our commitment to making our workplace and public facilities as safe and welcoming as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals who are not able to get the vaccine due to qualifying medical or religious reasons.