Senior Mechanical Engineer/Analyst
Astranis is on a mission to bridge the digital divide by connecting the four billion people worldwide who currently lack internet access. We're doing this by building the next generation of smaller, more cost-effective spacecraft to bring the world online.
As a team, we’ve launched two satellites into orbit, signed ten commercial deals worth over $1 billion in revenue, raised over $500 million from top global investors, and recruited a team of over 300 world-class engineers. We all work out of our (legendary) San Francisco office, which was once used to build ships during the World Wars.
Our satellites, which operate from geostationary orbit (GEO), weigh only 400 kg and utilize a proprietary software-defined radio payload. Each satellite can connect over two million people, and we’re very excited for the impact we’ll soon have in the Philippines, Peru, Mexico, and more!
Backed by substantial funding and a passionate, collaborative team, we offer a rewarding work environment where you'll learn and make a significant impact, no matter where you are in your career.
Apply and join us on our journey towards global connectivity!
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Analysis Focus)
As an Astranis Senior Mechanical Engineer (Analysis Focus) you will own the modeling and structural analysis of components, subsystems, and entire spacecraft.
In addition to being a significant individual contributor, you will mentor and train junior mechanical engineers on such projects. You must have a strong analytical background, hands-on testing skills, and preferably some experience with spacecraft and/or aerospace engineering.
- Perform analysis of complex components, assemblies, and spacecraft to satisfy launch and on-orbit requirements
- Help define structural load requirements and test requirements for components and subsystems
- Lead vibration test campaigns for components, assemblies, and spacecraft that you have analyzed
- Develop and define design best practices for future programs
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team
- B.S. or M.S in mechanical, aerospace engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience
- Strong Finite Element analysis skills (Femap expertise preferred)
- Structural dynamics testing experience
- Experience correlating finite element models based on dynamics test data
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- Experience analyzing and testing composite structures
- Experience defining vibration environments and running mechanical testing on spacecraft and spacecraft components
- Demonstrated ability to personally design, analyze, and procure complex mechanical assemblies with 30-40 components in aerospace or similar
- Experience in synthesizing requirements and flowing them down to sub-scale verification builds and testing
- Acoustics analysis and/or test experience
What we offer: