Astranis is on a mission to bridge the digital divide by connecting the four billion people worldwide who currently lack internet access. We're doing this by building the next generation of smaller, more cost-effective spacecraft to bring the world online.
As a team, we’ve launched two satellites into orbit, signed ten commercial deals worth over $1 billion in revenue, raised over $500 million from top global investors, and recruited a team of over 300 world-class engineers. We all work out of our (legendary) San Francisco office, which was once used to build ships during the World Wars.
Our satellites, which operate from geostationary orbit (GEO), weigh only 400 kg and utilize a proprietary software-defined radio payload. Each satellite can connect over two million people, and we’re very excited for the impact we’ll soon have in the Philippines, Peru, Mexico, and more!
Backed by substantial funding and a passionate, collaborative team, we offer a rewarding work environment where you'll learn and make a significant impact, no matter where you are in your career.
Apply and join us on our journey towards global connectivity!
As an Astranis Thermal Engineer, you will design, evaluate and test thermal solutions ranging from electronic chips to full spacecraft thermal vacuum tests.You must have a strong problem-solving background as well as hands-on testing skills. Experience with spacecraft or printed circuit board thermal mitigation are benefits but not required.
- Mature designs through conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design phases using practical passive and active thermal control techniques.
- Support design trades that successfully balance performance margins, resource use, risk, cost, and schedule.
- Perform thermal analysis to varying degrees of fidelity (simplified to detailed) on a variety of different types of hardware such as propulsion components, batteries, high powered electronics, RF components, mechanisms, and printed circuit boards (PCBs).
- Design, evaluate, procure and test thermal solutions such as heaters, heat pipes, thermal interface materials, and surface coatings.
- Develop processes and procedures for integration and assembly which ensure thermal design intent is met. Collaborate with the integration and test team; provide assistance with the installation of thermal hardware as needed.
- Plan and run thermal vacuum testing and verification at the component and spacecraft level.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or physics
- Experience in thermal analysis and thermally-constrained design; computational thermal design experience (finite methods) is not required but highly preferred
- Proficiency with mechanical CAD
- A passion and enthusiasm for hardware development, including working in a fast-paced environment and hands-on design and development
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- Experience with Thermal Desktop
- Experience with Electronics Packaging and Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design
- Experience building and operating high vacuum systems
What we offer: