Associate Director, AI/ML applied to Computer Vision for Drug Design - Data Science Analytics & Insights, Janssen R&D
Janssen Research & Development LLC, a Johnson & Johnson company, is recruiting for an Associate Director to help advance Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) for Drug Design. The preferred and primary location for this position is Titusville, NJ, but exceptionally skilled candidates may be considered for other Janssen site locations including New Brunswick, NJ, Cambridge, MA, Spring House, PA, La Jolla, CA, South San Francisco, CA, with up to approximately 20% travel.
At Janssen, we are working to create a world without disease—transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Data Science Analytics & Insights team within Janssen R&D develops innovative solutions using a variety of data sources across multiple different disease areas, encompassing oncology, cardiovascular and metabolic disorders, immunology, neuroscience, and infectious disease. We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative Associate Director who will work at the intersection of AI/ML, Computer Vision and Molecule Design.
· Conceive, develop, and implement AI/ML solutions applied to computer vision for drug design problems, including but not limited to, processing and analysis of large scale imaging and assay data (e.g. high content imaging, cryogenic electron microscopy, tissue imaging, and medical imaging), molecule structure predictions, toxicity prediction, and AI-based optimization
· Independently lead projects through all stages (ideation, planning, execution and delivery), and develop research proposals, study synopsis, protocols, analysis plans, progress reports and delivery decks
· Lead a team and develop junior colleagues within and outside the function, while growing as a group leader
· Work closely with a cross disciplinary team of data and AI scientists, imaging experts, structural biologists, and computational chemists, and leverages cross-domain expertise to contribute to a rigorous scientific evidence package strategically aligned with molecule development cycle
· Contributes to the strategy of the data science organization, and influence senior stakeholders in relation to project prioritization, continuation and promotion of the results
· Expand external scientific visibility and reputation of Janssen R&D by driving publications in top tier journals and conferences, and leading scientific seminars and discussion forums
· Has hands-on coding expertise, and reviews and provides high quality feedback on computer codes
· Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science/Statistics/Applied Mathematics or other related major, with at least 6 years of relevant industry experience (or highly relevant postdoc experience, on a case-by-case basis) is required
· Experience within the pharmaceutical/biotech/healthcare industry is preferred.
· Strong technical expertise in AI / deep learning with excellent analytical skills in Computer Vision with proven track records (publication in top-tier journals, awards, patents, white papers) is required
· Proficiency with one or more programming languages such as Python or C++ is required.
· Proficiency in one or more AI frameworks such as Pytorch or Tensorflow is required.
· Extensive, hands-on experience in AI/ML in related applications such as Computer Vision / Large Language Models/ Geometry Learning / AI-based Drug Design and other related fields is required.
· Ability to present analytical results on behalf of the project team to senior leadership, and to communicate program updates and milestones to key leaders/peers/stakeholders is required.
· Ability to influence or persuade others to accept new ideas, approaches or concepts and on the direction of projects and manage stakeholders through project execution is required.
· Experience with people leadership/management is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The anticipated base pay range for this position is $131,000 to $225,000. For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .