Ethicon - Medical Affairs Advisor
For more than 130 years, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) have been part of our cultural fabric at Johnson & Johnson and woven into how we do business every day. Our commitment to respect the dignity and diversity of all is embedded in our Credo.
We know that the success of our business depends on having the best talent in a workforce that reflects the diverse markets we serve around the world and an inclusive culture that values different perspectives and life experiences.
That is why we are working to create an inclusive environment where diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences are valued and each one of our people feels that they belong and can reach their potential. No matter who they are.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Johnson & Johnson means “YOU Belong”!
Who are we:
Profound Change Requires Boldness. Johnson & Johnson is the largest and most broadly-based healthcare company in the world. We’re producing life-changing breakthroughs every day and have been for the last 130 years. The combination of new technologies and your expertise enables amazing things to happen.
Teams from J&J’s consumer business are crafting digital tools to help people track the health of their skin. Those working in medical devices are 3-D printing artificial joints personalized for each patient, while researchers in pharmaceuticals use AI to discover lifesaving drugs. Imagine what the rest of our team of 134,000 people at 260 companies in more than 60 countries across the world is accomplishing. We redefine what it means to be a big company in today’s world.
Ethicon is is devoted to shaping the future of surgery by advancing innovation, addressing the most pressing healthcare issues and improving lives every day. Our product portfolio includes energy devices, wound closure, endo-mechanical, cardiothoracic, gyne, urology and thyroid and biosurgery surgical devices.
Purpose of the role:
The Ethicon Medical Affairs Advisor, UK and Ireland will be a member of the Ethicon leadership team and advises on issues of medical, scientific and ethical nature, enabling informed and sound business decisions.
This person will manage and provide strategic direction acting as the Medical Affairs function in the region. The appointee will create and implement Medical functional strategies that are integral to an aligned corporate vision and overall company strategic framework, creating maximum opportunity in local markets, ensuring synergies with the J&J corporate entity and adherence to global, regional and local operating instructions at all levels of the organisation.
The Ethicon Medical Affairs Advisor, UK and Ireland will support Country/Regional Business Leaders by bringing surgical insights, providing medical and scientific expertise to drive optimal business strategic direction, including product launches, key scientific meetings, relationship management with leading research physicians and medical delivery system or government decision makers, critical evaluation of current literature and competitive activity, and in other domains where medical and scientific expertise is required.
In addition to provide support to the LT around challenges and opportunities for the entire JnJ Med Tech, they will provide support to the Ethicon Franchise assuming a more tactical role, participating in the LT, shaping the strategy and providing technical expertise.
What to expect:
Core Medical Affairs and Patient Access:
The role-holder works closely with Franchise Leaders, Sales, Marketing and Health Economics & Market Access (HEMA) teams to ensure patients are able to access the company’s products and services by:
- Providing medical support as per the product launch (LEx) process
- Evidence dissemination to relevant stakeholders, incl. medical information request (MIR) support
- Support for health technology assessment (HTA) processes
- Training of internal colleagues on products, disease areas and current/future trends in surgery and healthcare
- Support for tenders
- Working with professional education to define (and deliver parts of) best in class professional education programmes for our products and services
- Engagement with senior external healthcare stakeholders
- Championing the needs of patients and health care professionals (HCPs)
- Point of contact for external investigators requesting investigator initiated study (IIS) support
- Champion UKI as a site for JJMD company sponsored studies
- Support JJMD Clinical team with company sponsored studies in UKI
- Act as contact for relevant external UKI implant/procedure registries
- Work with the Innovation & Evidence Generation (I&EG) and the Clinical team to identify sources of data on company products
- Influence company evidence generation strategies to produce evidence that improves probability of product adoption in UKI
- Supporting in the execution of evidence plans, including case support, identification of evidence generation opportunities (e.g. data sharing agreements with early adoptors), input to the evidence dissemination strategy, driving evidence implementation within the country by providing scientific and medical support of areas of surgical expertise to drive business initiatives incl. facilitating scientific and medical meetings
Shaping the external environment:
Broad engagement with 5Ps to improve patient access to JJMD products and services in the UKI in collaboration with other functional teams (e.g. Govt Affairs, HEMA, Clinical Research, R&D, Comms & Public Affairs) or other external organizations (e.g. Royal Colleges of Surgeons, ABHI, GIRFT, NICE, patient advocacy groups, surgical societies, NHS England etc.).
- Act as a senior champion for patient safety
- Encourage internal colleagues and external customers to report all product complaints and adverse events to the company promptly
- Support customers and the Quality team when serious/complex complaints occur.
UKI Leadership Team:
- Ensure alignment of medical activities with business needs.
- Enable medical insights to inform UKI strategy.
- To ensure that all 3 franchises have appropriate medical support.
- To be seen internally and externally as a subject matter expert on medical affairs and the medical devices industry.
- Acts as a contributor (where appropriate) and reviewer/approver of medical, scientific, promotional, market access and other informational material for country/region consumption.
- Partner with Regulatory, Clinical, I&EG & Quality teams to achieve shared goals.
Diversity, Equity and inclusion (DE&I):
- To role model and support DE&I within the UKI organisation
Who are we looking for:
- Good interpersonal, communication & time-management skills
- Strong experience of leading teams
- Medically qualified with license to practice medicine
- Post-graduate qualification in surgery (MRCS, FRCS etc.)
- Previous clinical practice experience in a relevant therapy area
- Good working knowledge of UK healthcare and market access environment
Please note the role might involve travels within the UK/Ireland for approx. 20% and occasional international travels 5-10%
What type of mark will YOU make?
By joining Johnson & Johnson you will find boundless opportunities to craft your path & amplify your impact inside & outside our walls. And with our commitment to be the world’s healthiest workforce you can strengthen your body as well and your mind. When you work at Johnson & Johnson you can touch over a Billion lives worldwide every day. And when you apply your talent to our collective purpose there’s no end to the lasting impact we can make together. And that changes everything.
What’s in it for YOU ?
It’s important to us that you feel you can bring your whole self to work; at Johnson & Johnson we provide an environment for you to fulfil your career aspirations as well as promoting your physical and mental wellbeing. As part of our offering, you will receive a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as benefits that can be tailored to what is valuable to you throughout different stages of your life. Examples of this include: online Digital GP, private healthcare, Retail Vouchers, Discounted & Subsidised Gym memberships and you can get to support community projects as part of our global Corporate Social Responsibility programme.