Staff Robotics & Controls Engineer
Auris Health, a part of the Johnson & Johnson Family of companies, is recruiting a Staff Robotics & Controls Engineer, located in Redwood City, California!
At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we're changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times for patients. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™) and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams based in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You'll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
We are recruiting a Staff Robotics and Controls Engineer to guide the development of advanced robotic solutions for the Monarch Platform! We are a group of highly motivated roboticists working on the algorithms that lie at the heart of the system. We are responsible for classic areas of robotics encompassing kinematics and dynamics of rigid serial manipulators. We are also developing how the robot platform interacts with the medical instruments, collaborating closely with the mechanical development of the flexible and rigid medical instruments.
This individual will act as a key technical lead for the platform's kinematics and dynamics. You will put your robotics expertise to work, focusing on areas such as kinematic algorithms, workspace analysis, admittance, actuator dynamics, and servo control. You will lead through example, by pro-actively testing out developments directly on the system. You will drive the team to elevate clinical performance to new heights for our physicians and patients. We are looking for candidates with a strong work ethic that are deeply motivated to impact patient's lives through advanced robotic technology.
Key Responsibilities :
As the lead roboticist on kinematics, dynamics and controls of the Monarch platform, you are responsible for the team's output from early phase development through design validation, commercial release and post-market surveillance.
Your day to day responsibilities:
- Own robotic platform algorithms and performance: kinematic workspace, kinematic accuracy, admittance, dynamic modelling, low level servo control, interactions with firmware, system latencies, etc
- Conduct hands-on system performance testing and optimization in the lab
- Drive collaborations forward with Systems, Mechanical, Instruments, Software and Clinical Engineering
- Conduct cross-functional design reviews, reaching consensus and defining next steps.
- Guide junior robotic engineers on the team
The successful candidate must combine a strong technical background, outstanding communication skills, and a proven track record in developing and bringing to market highly complex robotic systems.
- One of the following combinations of education and years of experience is required
- A.) 6+ years of relevant industry experience developing sophisticated robotics applications for complex electro-mechanical systems in combination with a Master's (Computer Science, Robotics, Control, or equivalent areas) OR
- B.) 3+ years with PhD (Computer Science, Robotics, Control, or equivalent areas) in developing sophisticated robotics applications for complex electro-mechanical systems
- Experience in bringing products to market in a regulated industry such as Medical, Automobile, Aeronautics or Spatial is highly desired.
- Vast programming experience in Matlab/Simulink is absolutely required, proficiency with C++ or Python is highly beneficial
- Demonstrable experience applying a data driven and scientific approach to R&D engineering is required.
- Experience working in an Agile project management environment is beneficial.
- Knowledge in flexible/compliant mechanism control is an asset.
- Experience with real-time control systems (RTLinux, QNX, xPCTarget, Labview Realtime. etc) is preferred
- Experience with Simulink Realtime is helpful
- Ability to travel up to 10%, domestic and international, is required
- The ability to be based in Redwood City CA is required.
The anticipated pay range for this position is 128,000-220,915
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more than 130 years, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) have been part of our cultural fabric at Johnson & Johnson and is woven into how we do business every day. Our commitment to respect the dignity and diversity of all is embedded in our Credo.
We know that the success of our business depends on having the best talent in a workforce that reflects the diverse markets we serve around the world and an inclusive culture that values different perspectives and life experiences. We provide an environment not only to fulfill your career aspirations, but also to support your physical and mental well-being. At Johnson & Johnson, we offer a variety of outstanding health and financial benefits, including competitive compensation, 401k, pension, medical, dental, and vision insurance, exercise reimbursement, flexible time off, paid volunteer and parental leave, and more!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com