WCH R&D Spring 2024 Co-Op, CV Surgery
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science—bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Ethicon was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies including—sutures, hemostasis products, surgical staplers, trocars, energy devices and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally-invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of cardiovascular, colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, oncology, and obesity.
Ethicon, Inc.—a member of Johnson & Johnson’s family of companies located in Raritan, NJ—is recruiting for R&D Co-Ops for 2024 . In this role, the Co-Op will join a collaborative team of scientists and engineers which support new product development aimed at addressing unmet needs in cardiac surgery, including the following day-to-day responsibilities:
- Hands-on laboratory work in engineering laboratories
- Utilizing bespoke machining processes for novel medical device builds and evaluation
- Generating 3D Models and 3D printing them to support/develop test methods and fixtures
- Attending and participating in Voice-of-Customer (VOC) labs with surgeons
- Working with teams to design key project studies
- Good documentation practices, including writing test protocols, generating final reports, and documenting meeting minutes
- Collaborating with engineers and outside suppliers to support project related activities
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to relocate to work on site in a laboratory environment
- Assignment typically begins in January and ends in August. Start/end dates are flexible to accommodate academic calendars
- Ability to work full-time (40 hrs/week) during the Co-Op
- Candidates must be actively enrolled in an accredited University for the duration of the Co-Op assignment pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Completion of undergraduate freshmen year at an accredited University is required.
- A minimum GPA of 2.8 is required, but a GPA of 3.0 or higher is strongly preferred
- The following disciplines are preferred: Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Material Science, Chemical Engineering
Experience and Skills:
- The following concentration fields and/or skills are strongly preferred: CAD Design (SolidWorks), Rapid Prototyping, & Machine Shop Experience
- Ability to work closely with technical and non-technical personnel
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity, and a dedication to delivering the highest quality of work with attention to detail
- High level of organization and ability to balance multiple projects/initiatives while achieving results
- Must be a self-starter. Comfortable working both independently and with a team.
*The base pay for this position is Sophomore $22.75/hr, Junior $24.50/hr, Senior $26/hr, Master’s degree $29/hr. (will be based on candidate’s program year, discipline, degree and/or experience)
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.