Product Development Engineer I, Surgery
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed’s “Patients First!” culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is recruiting for a Product Development Engineer located in Danvers, MA. The ideal Product Development candidate will be goal, data-driven, detail oriented; and experienced in the medical industry. The Product Development Engineer will lead complex technical tasks and engineering process improvements, collaborate with senior and junior staff, develop new products, and provide engineering support for existing products.
Principle Du ti es and Responsibili ti es :
· Build on current of medical, technical, and biomedical developments related to company products and heart recovery technologies.
· Manage execution of work for timely completion of tasks per plan without direct supervision. Prepare, present and lead design reviews to attain agreement on project tasks with peers and review team.
· Develop and update design documentation including test protocols, reports, and engineering summary to support both quality and regulatory documentation
· Fabricate prototypes with assistance from technical support team (Machine Shop, Technicians and Designers) and suppliers.
· Maintain accurate documentation of concepts, designs, and processes.
· Work with internal and external manufacturing partners to ensure producible designs (DFM). Document designs by constructing solid models and drawings using GD&T and stack-up analyses.
· Perform evaluations, design and prototyping using CAD (Solidworks), FEA, 3-D printing to accelerate development and engineering of plastics, ceramic, composite and metallic parts, electromechanical systems, etc.
· Address field complaints by determining root cause and implement corrective actions.
· Suggest, contribute and champion initiatives to improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures.
· Ability to work in cross-functional teams that span global operations. Proficient in English verbal and written communication. Must enjoy team approach over individual contributions.
Job Quali fi ca ti ons:
· BS in Mechanical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline, MS Preferred.
· Applied understanding of DFM concepts and manufacturing best practices
· 1-3 years related experience required.
· Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly, effectively, and frequently (oral and written) within the internal project team and international.
· Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
· Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Working knowledge of SAP and Minitab desired. May require up to 10% travel – US & EU
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.