Patent Attorney Agent
Abiomed, Inc., Danvers, a division of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, has an immediate opening for a patent agent or attorney to join its growing global IP team. The selected individual will play a vital role both managing US-based IP portfolio, working with the global IP team, and executing the legal team’s critical IP activities while bringing high energy and collaborative mindset.
· Work directly with inventors to harvest invention disclosures, ascertain claiming strategies and technical details about inventions
· Liaise with external counsel to draft patent applications; prepare responses to US office action and assure parallel prosecution across all foreign counterparts
· Draft and prosecute patent applications as necessary
· Work closely with the Global IP team to execute Global IP filing and prosecution strategy
· Conduct due diligence as necessary
· Perform prior art/patentability searches and analysis; conduct freedom to operate searches and analysis
· Assist with IP litigation matters as necessary
· Manage and improve processes for intake and tracking invention disclosures
· Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/electrical/aerospace engineering or similar discipline required
· Must be a registered patent agent in good standing with USPTO; for patent attorneys - admission to a State Bar is required
· 5+ years patent prosecution experience at a law firm and/or corporate in-house experience as a patent agent or attorney in the mechanical arts, preferably medical devices
· Experience harvesting invention disclosures, conducting patentability and freedom to operate searches, drafting, filing and prosecuting patent applications are required. Prior experience with IP due diligence, transactional work and litigation are preferred
· Familiarity with patent management database systems (e.g., Anaqua, CPI) strongly preferred
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills
· Self-starter and a team player with creative problem solving ability
· Demonstrated experience working independently to identify, analyze, and solve problems.
· Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters confidentially, expeditiously, proactively and follows through on tasks until successful completion.
· Skilled and experienced in the art of organization and time management to juggle multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
· Solid judgment, tact, and diplomacy skills in dealing with internal and external customers as well the ability to handle highly confidential and proprietary information.
· Flexible and adaptable, with the ability to respond to last-minute changes while maintaining poise and a positive “can do” attitude.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .]