Scientific Director, Global Discovery Chemistry (San Diego, CA)
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientific Director, Global Discovery Chemistry for our site in San Diego, CA.
The Scientific Director will partner across Therapeutics Discovery and Therapeutic Areas, represent medicinal chemistry, lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules to the Janssen product development pipeline within our Disease and Pathway Area Stronghold (DAS and PAS) strategies.
- · Provide direct line leadership to a group of medicinal chemists, set individual and team objectives, coach and develop local talent within Global Discovery Chemistry
- Manage and deliver portfolio objectives as a project leader and/or as a supervisor of other project leaders
- Serve as a member of the local LJ and global leadership teams to create, shape and, implement strategies that support both local and global medicinal chemistry objectives at Janssen, including developing capabilities, modalities, technology and identifying external opportunities
- Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry to internal and external partners, providing chemistry drug discovery insights and objective assessments in portfolio and stage-gate reviews including Therapeutics Discovery, the J&J Innovation Centers, and across multiple Therapeutic Areas
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required; post-doctoral experience is preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 12 years of relevant small molecule drug discovery experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a demonstrated track record of leading cross-functional matrixed project teams and delivering program objectives
- Track record of delivering new chemical entities to candidate selection and progression into human clinical studies
- Expert knowledge of modern synthetic and medicinal chemistry with the ability to successfully impact multiple projects
- Experience supervising multiple direct reports and a track record of managing performance, developing talent, and creating a strong medicinal chemistry team
- Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Experience in developing a long-term strategic vision within an organization and initiating and delivering on key objectives
- Experience implementing medicinal chemistry programs employing Targeted Protein Degradation as a modality, is preferred.
· Extensive knowledge and expertise in building program strategies with focus on biomarker plans, target engagement approaches and translational PK/PD
· Exposure to early clinical development concepts and teams
· Ability to interact with biology leaders and their discovery teams to set the strategic direction for TA portfolios to drive early discovery programs to critical decision points, is required.
· Up to 10% travel both domestically and internationally may be required.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $157,000 to $271,400.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability
Eligible for benefits to include medical, dental, vision and time off as well as any others as provided for in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
For additional general information on company benefits, please go to: - https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits