Post Doc - Oncology Discovery
As a postdoctoral scientist in Oncology at Janssen, you will be a key member of a dynamic and collaborative team, responsible for identifying novel drug targets for the treatment of cancer as well as elucidating the mode of action. Specifically, the research will be focused on immune therapy and epigenetic candidates that show initiative approaches in hematological malignancies. We are looking for highly motivated and the ability to work independently. The ability to deliver reproducible high-quality results, and troubleshooting skills in assay biology and experimental design, are essential. She/he needs to have a sense of urgency, be well organized, and adhere to project timelines. An excellent scientific track record is critical. Experience in drug discovery / pharmacology and/or knowledge of the oncology and/or immunology field, in particular hematologic malignancies, is a plus.
You will initially be assigned to a two-year R&D project to identify novel small molecule and/or antibody / large molecule targets. You are expected to design, execute, analyze, and report the experiments, and work in a systematic manner to establish a robust, high-quality research tool. The work will be done in collaboration with Janssen biologists as well as with our external partners. The position will offer an excellent opportunity to develop your skills in drug discovery and establish yourself as a scientist in Oncology drug development. The candidate is expected to publish his/her research.
Primary responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
1. Demonstrate the ability to design, perform, interpret, troubleshoot and report complex data.
2. Ability to perform tissue culture is a must. Cell/molecular biology skills desired: transfections, transductions, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, siRNA/shRNA, CRISPR, qRT-PCR, FACS and ELISA. Experience working in T cell biology and immunology is a plus.
3. Experience in drug discovery is beneficial (large or small molecules, PK/PD, understanding of drug properties, assay / model development, drug testing, etc).
4. Keep up-to-date in the literature related to his/her field. Act as an expert resource in his/her scientific field and in related disciplines. Propose novel and actionable target ideas, aligned with internal scientific strategy and capabilities.
5. Demonstrate the ability to manage multiple experiments simultaneously.
6. Demonstrate the ability to analyze and present data in professional 'publication ready' format
7. Demonstrate clear and professional verbal and written communication (excellent presentation skills)
Education, Experience, and Special Skills:
1. Education: Ph.D. degree in biochemistry, immunology, cellular or molecular biology
2. Related Experience: Knowledge of oncology, hematology, or immunology with a track record of high-quality publications.
3. Personal skills and Competencies:
· Intellectually curious and well-informed on the latest scientific advances in the field
· Demonstrates creativity and novel approaches to solving scientific problems
· Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage several experiments simultaneously
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people
· Detail-oriented, with excellent record-keeping skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to effectively present scientific data and concepts to international standards.