Staff R&D Design Engineer
Ethicon’s Robotics & Digital Solutions business, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is recruiting for a Staff R&D Design Engineer, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Robotics and Digital Solutions, is part of Johnson & Johnson Med Tech. At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we’re changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve patients’ diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™), and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You’ll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
In this role, you will design and develop sophisticated robotic instruments that provide robust clinical value. You will be a vital member of a product development team, leading various assignments in collaboration with other design engineers, manufacturing engineers, designers, and multi-functional partners.
Under general direction and in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations and Corporate Johnson & Johnson, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Design, iterate, and evaluate product concepts quickly and effectively via prototype builds, laboratory testing, and/or computer simulations
- Lead development of design requirements and rationale based on user needs and product function; translate design requirements into concepts /solutions while balancing tradeoffs and business impact
- Develop complex test methods, design/build fixtures and systems for testing
- Generate/process/analyze advanced engineering data to meet design spec’s
- Commercialize new products via the design control process, applying good documentation practices, spanning from feasibility to V&V through launch
- Lead detailed reviews of designs, requirements, Spec’s, etc. and effectively communicate technical information in written and verbal forms across the organization, including status, opportunities, risks, and recommendations
- All responsibilities listed may not be assigned and other responsibilities may be assigned
- One of the following combinations of education and experience is required;
- 6+ years of relevant product development and design experience with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related science/engineering field OR
- 5+ years of product development/design experience with an advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related science/engineering field
- An advanced degree is beneficial.
- Advanced mechanical design and analysis skills, including expertise with complex mechanism design, machine elements, and mechanical interfaces is required.
- Proven experience working with mfg engineers/suppliers on DFM/DFA (design for manufacturability/design for assemble-ability) to Cost, and prototyping to optimize designs for manufacturability and reliability is required.
- Expertise with developing and using 3D CAD models required.
- Experience with SolidWorks is preferred.
- Expertise developing and applying complex tolerance analysis, stress-strain analysis, FEA, simulated use tests, statistical analysis, DOE (design of experiment) and detailed risk analysis is required.
- Proven experience with engineering investigations, problem solving, root cause, prototype rework, component modification, and complex risk mitigation is required.
- Outstanding multi-functional communication, collaboration, and teaming skills with ability to lead cross functional meetings and influence cross functional decisions is highly beneficial.
- Systems-based design experience, including integration of cross-disciplinary technologies (e.g., mechanical, electrical, controls, software) is highly preferred.
- Able to provide positive and constructive feedback to teammates on product concepts and designs; encourage and mentor less experienced engineers is preferred.
- Highly organized and creative, with strong analytical, problem-solving, project management, and conflict analysis/resolution skills; Experience working independently with minimal guidance to develop approaches and solutions is an asset.
- Ability to advance projects in an ambiguous environment, make independent decisions, drive action with limited data, and organize/prioritize/lead workstreams is highly beneficial.
- Experience working on a multi-functional product development team with demonstration of leadership through encouraging and inclusive behaviors that inspire and develop others strongly desired.
- Experience in the design, development, and commercialization of medical devices with an understanding of their application in surgical procedures is highly beneficial.
- Data analysis experience with Python, Matlab, or similar programming languages are desired.
- Up to [Percentage, e.g., 25, must list a minimum of 10% even if there is no expected travel] % domestic and international travel may be required, including overnight stays.
- Ability to work in Cincinnati, OH is required.
The anticipated pay range for this position is 113K- 195.5K
For more than 130 years, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) have been part of our cultural fabric at Johnson & Johnson and is woven into how we do business every day. Our commitment to respect the dignity and diversity of all is embedded in our Credo.
We know that the success of our business depends on having the best talent in a workforce that reflects the diverse markets we serve around the world and an inclusive culture that values different perspectives and life experiences. We provide an environment not only to fulfill your career aspirations, but also to support your physical and mental well-being. At Johnson & Johnson, we offer a variety of outstanding health and financial benefits, including competitive compensation, 401k, pension, medical, dental, and vision insurance, exercise reimbursement, flexible time off, paid volunteer and parental leave, and more!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com