Avail Medsystems is a pioneering medical technology company that is reinventing how medical procedures are supported by industry and clinicians. We are committed to delivering HIPAA compliant real-time video conferencing solutions that improve the quality, and lower the cost, of procedural care delivery. Our first-generation Avail Systems are currently being used to support procedures in the United States. Physicians are able to instantly connect with enhanced on demand support that is better than being there, with added capabilities such as the ability to annotate over live or paused video. We are looking for self-starters, who are great team players, to join us as we transform when, where and how procedural support is delivered.
The role of the Electrical Engineer is to design & develop electrical systems for complex, medical equipment. Should exhibit strong skills and experience in analog and digital electronics design, analysis and testing. Active participation in component selection & specifications. Capable of working with limited guidance/supervision and being able to test, evaluate, document, qualify and release designs for medical equipment. Candidate should be familiar with electrical and electronic best practices and have the ability to quickly solve challenging problems.
We are looking for a team player with a diverse set of skills who has the ability to work on cable drawings, support production builds, engage with vendors on future designs, and perform electrical testing on damaged parts when needed – sometimes at the same time. Understanding priorities and constant collaboration will help achieve our goals, while you’ll find our optimistic enthusiasm to be contagious. Come join our team!
- Work closely with cross-functional teams including marketing, field service, software, quality assurance, regulatory, mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, system engineering and others to develop system architecture, specifications and requirements for complex medical systems.
- Develop, test and document power distribution systems, analog and digital circuit designs, and electro-mechanical subsystems from design into production.
- Incorporate Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFx) principles and identified risks, hazards, failure modes, and mitigation strategies from FMEA reviews into subsystem designs.
- Work with field service teams for on-market support of released products.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement, both internally and with external design partners. Work with our manufacturing partners on maintaining a bill of materials and addressing end-of-life component issues as they arise.
- Understanding of computer architecture principles, and practical selection of components to meet product requirements.
- Familiarity with incorporating video frame grabbers, high-definition displays and audio, touchpads, wireless communication, Bluetooth functionality, and headsets into a medical device application.
- Work with contract manufacturer’s (CM) to develop test methods, test protocols, test equipment, firmware, and test fixtures to fully test and implement PCBA and electrical subsystems during manufacturing.
- Formally release technical documentation in support of manufacturing, satisfying quality and regulatory requirements of medical devices.
- Perform Verification and Validation testing as required to release new designs to production.
- Route and design electrical cable assemblies and cable harnesses for medical devices. Familiarity with electrical power standards in international markets.
- Work with NRTL to complete Electrical Safety Testing, EMC/EMI Qualification Testing and other testing as required to demonstrate compliance with IEC 60601 for medical products.
- Design for compliance with U.S., Canadian, European, and other International Regulatory Standards including Electrical Safety and EMC/EMI for medical devices. i.e.: IEC 60601, FCC and ISO standards as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and 5+ years of experience as an electrical/electronic engineer.
- Medical device or other regulated industry experience a plus
- Masters in Electrical Engineering and 5+ years of experience as an electrical/electronic engineer.
- Exposure to various communication protocols (USB, SPI, I2C, UART, PCI-Express, MIPI, SDI).
- Design experience with microcontrollers, SOC’s, microprocessors, and FPGA’s.
- Familiarity with power supplies and inverters.
- Involvement in wireless device implementation (Bluetooth, WIFI, Cellular) and frame grabbers.
- Prior experience using Python, C++, and/or MATLAB.
- Knowledge about microphone array PCBA’s and basic audio principles.
- Hands-on troubleshooting experience with lab equipment, including oscilloscopes, multimeter, logic analyzers, current clamp, spectrum analyzer, etc.
- Understanding of how to design for system reliability and test reliability requirements.
- Proficiency in PCB CAD software i.e. Orcad, Altium, Allegro.
- Strong organizational skills and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
WORK LOCATION: PALO ALTO/SANTA CLARA, CA
Avail Medsystems provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.