Head of Data Science
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid products—Citizen Protect and Citizen Plus, enhance the Citizen experience by offering users powerful features like police scanner radio, historical incidents, custom alerts zones, and access to a digital guardian 24/7 help. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the role:
We are looking for an organized, data-driven, and curious player/coach to work cross-functionally across the product, engineering and various other departments. As the Head of Data Science, you will support and inform various functions throughout the company to solve business-critical issues, specifically related to our product, features, etc. Our data team supports all parts of the business and are generally aligned around the key pillars of growth and revenue. The growth team focuses on scaling Citizen through content strategy and improving app UX, while the revenue team focuses on driving paid acquisition through improved premium feature value, as well as exploring creative new monetization streams. The ideal candidate will be able to thrive in an ever changing start-up environment and be able to adapt quickly to changes within the business.
What you’ll do here:
- Establish and implement the organizational structure, goals, processes and tools for the data science team
- Represent the data function to the rest of Citizen. Lead the day to day operations of the data team
- Help strategize with senior leadership to develop the product roadmap that supports the company’s vision and mission
- Build, manage and develop a team of talented data scientists embedded as thought partners within product verticals and own reporting, experimentation and longer-form analyses that generate insights and guide product and company strategy
- Embark on a dynamic and hands-on management role where you'll have the opportunity to not only lead and direct your team, but also actively contribute and make a tangible impact through executing key individual contributor tasks
- Leverage analytics and quantitative methods to inform and influence decision-making
- Influence and build relationships with people across all levels of the organization, internally and externally
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 6+ years experience as a data scientist or product analyst
- Extensive experience collaborating cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, and other disciplines at both the leadership and hands-on level
- Ability to challenge the status quo: ability to challenge peers constructively and get buy-in for new ideas
- Strong communication skills: ability to tell a story with data and adjust communication based on audience understanding of data.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and operate effectively in the face of uncertainty
- At least 3 years experience managing a data science or product analytics team
- Experience with a modern data stack: GCP, Tableau, dbt, Stitch, and BigQuery
- Experience in consumer technology
- Experience managing teams in a startup environment
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $200,000-$270,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Something looks off?