Senior Software Engineer
Emeryville, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2022
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
Our value is in delivering human-level autonomy in robots. We continuously push the boundaries of next-gen robotics for our customers and partners and this role is a key member of the team responsible for driving improvements continuously across various applications.
- Iterate quickly on the end-to-end performance of our main robotics applications leveraging a wide variety of skill sets (AI, SW, and HW)
- Build mission-critical software, from robotic systems to cloud infrastructure, with attention to performance, reliability, security, and code quality
- Deliver previously-impossible robotics capabilities that solve real needs for our partners and customers
- Collaborate with, learn from, and support a diverse and cross-functional team, including mechanical, electrical, software engineers, AI/ML researchers, and business development
- Assist Solutions, Business, Sales, and Product in deployment ramp-up and demos
- An impact-driven mindset - willingness to work in a variety of technical areas as needed, to solve real problems, and deliver business impact
- A solid foundation in Software Engineering. Experience with at least one programming language, e.g. Python or C/C++, and willingness to pick up new languages or technologies as needed
- A broad range of knowledge base and interests ranging from SWE / AI to HW
NICE TO HAVES
- Have a desire to work with a small collaborative team, with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility
- Are motivated to work on challenging real-world engineering problems
- Enjoy autonomy in figuring out what is the most important problem to work on
- Are committed to continuous learning
SAMPLE WEEK IN THE LIFE
- Monday - Add a new runtime capability to our core message-passing infrastructure. Give a technical deep-dive talk to the company about our robotics application framework
- Tuesday - As the software lead of one of our products, meet with leadership to discuss strategy and execution. Develop a product-independent pick-and-place module, and migrate existing application code to use it
- Wednesday - Mentor a software engineer on how to use our APIs to write a reusable component
- Thursday - Work with the Hardware team to design a microcontroller solution for a mechatronics component. Collaborate with Research to implement a generalized performance improvement across applications
- Friday - Partner with Sales and Solutions to prepare a product demo for a potential customer
Base pay is one element of our total rewards package which may also include comprehensive benefits and equity etc., depending on eligibility. The annual base salary range for this position is from $170,000 to $225,000. The actual base pay offered will be determined on factors such as years of relevant experience, skills, education etc. Decisions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited PTO and Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and company match
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.