Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
The Commercial Counsel is a critical member of the Covariant team, working cross-functionally to drive the success of Covariant’s commercial processes. As Covariant's first in-house legal counsel, you will collaborate closely with our leadership team, influence our company strategy through the lens of legal considerations, and help build out a legal function that will significantly contribute to the company's success.
- Support our account executives and sales management on commercial and contractual strategy in executing transactions
- Work with CRO and CFO to standardize contractual templates in alignment with commercial and financial objectives
- Serve as a key member of the deal team - drafting, negotiating, and analyzing a wide range of commercial, revenue-generating contracts
- Represent Covariant in negotiations with customer’s legal and procurement teams
- Ensure internal alignment on IP, Privacy, and Commercial Risk deal considerations
- Provide legal analyses of applicable laws, regulations, and industry guidance and standards
- Develop programs to ensure compliance with US and international privacy standards
- Work cross-functionally across the company to analyze legal risks, devise creative solutions, and develop strong, trusted advisor relationships
- Engage local jurisdiction counsel as needed
- Lead cross-functional efforts to develop foreign entity strategy, and drive execution in partnership with external counsel
- Assist with additional corporate matters, including financings and compliance.
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and member of a state bar
- 5-10+ years of relevant legal experience with in-house commercial transactional experience, or equivalent at a top firm
- Experience focused on negotiating complex commercial agreements, including marketing, services, partnership, and licensing agreements
- Strong drafting skills with keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate and negotiate with both internal and external business and legal teams
- Strong work ethic
Base pay is one element of our total rewards package which may also include comprehensive benefits and equity etc., depending on eligibility. The annual base salary range for this position is from $200,000 to $265,000. The actual base pay offered will be determined on factors such as years of relevant experience, skills, education etc. Decisions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and match (applies only to United States employees)
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.