Hardware, Technical Program Manager
IT, Other Engineering, Operations
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
You will be drawing upon your experience in industrial automation, equipment engineering and product development as part of a highly collaborative cross-disciplinary team to design & build robotic cells for new and exciting applications of our robotics AI technology.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Developing novel robotic automation products and accessories that will be delivered at scale
- Working closely with the Product and Engineering teams to iterate requirements and design to solve real customer problems
- Work closely with global supply chain teams to build prototypes and transfer them to full-scale production
- Work closely with deployment teams to deliver solutions to customers and ramp to production
- Develop robotic work cells for a variety of applications and take designs from concept/feasibility to volume production release
- Convert product requirements into technical requirements and communicate trade-offs to a range of stakeholders
- Work with development teams across the engineering organization including hardware, software, and research teams to deliver end-to-end automation solutions
- Contribute to building a world-class automation and product development team by setting the standards and infrastructure for excellence in program management
- Occasionally spend up to two weeks on-site, primarily for early pilot-phase deployments, and develop documentation preparing to scale automated solutions
- Lead cross-functional teams in the creation and delivery of ground-breaking AI/Robotic Automation
- Create program plans with well-defined goals, scope, requirements, timelines, and deliverables for projects across various departments
- Develop and execute risk management plans
- Develop and execute communication plans including well-defined lines of communication, meeting agenda and minutes, dashboards, and project documentation
- Communicate and present program plans, status, risks, and issues to a diverse range of stakeholders in a flat organizational structure
- Match program management methodology (Waterfall vs. Agile for example) to suit the needs of programs
- Control programs so key deadlines are met, decisions are made promptly, and risks and issues are managed
- Plan iteratively, as needed, to find the optimal path through the execution of programs
- Ensure timely execution of activities on the critical path to key program milestones
- Partner with other program managers to develop and implement process improvements
- Ensure the development of high-functioning teams, including training and mentoring team members where appropriate
- At least 8 years experience managing programs developing automation, robotics, or capital equipment
- A Bachelor’s level degree or higher in Engineering or a related field with a hardware background
- A comprehensive understanding of factory installation process & procedures, and define or assist in Factory Acceptance tests and customer sign-off
- A solid understanding of equipment validation phases; CDR, FAT, SAT, etc.
- Proficient working with a diverse range of vendors for purchased and custom parts
- Proficient with agile and waterfall project management techniques
- Proficiency with project management tools, such as Gantt charts, Kanban Boards, collaborative documentation tools
- Success working with third party design firms and contract manufacturers
NICE TO HAVES
- PMP, Scrum, or SixSigma certification
- Proficiency with any mechanical and/or electrical CAD package (Onshape, Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc.)
- Proficient with hand tools, electrical work & rapid prototyping
- Working knowledge of machine safety standards
- High volume manufacturing experience
- Programming experience in any language
- Proficiency in spoken and written Mandarin
SAMPLE WEEK IN THE LIFE
- Monday: Team meeting to kick off the week, share and align goals, share weekend adventures and celebrate successes. Lunch is provided if you’re in the office
- Tuesday: Work with suppliers and supply chain to procure electrical panels built to your specifications.
- Wednesday: Design review with team in Shenzhen. Working remotely to get some focus time.
- Thursday: Testing in the lab with the robotic software team. Customer demo. Nailed it.
- Friday: Working remotely (from anywhere) to crank out some communications and catch up on the project plan.
Base pay is one element of our total rewards package which may also include comprehensive benefits and equity etc., depending on eligibility. The annual base salary range for this position is from $100,000 to $150,000. The actual base pay offered will be determined on factors such as years of relevant experience, skills, education etc. Decisions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited PTO and Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and company match
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
Private medical insurance coverage for you and your family
UK Holidays: 25 days + 8 Statutory (EU Countries TBC specific to region)
£200 Learning budget per quarter - books, courses, etc.
£35 wellness budget per month - gym membership, fitness classes, etc.
Pension - 6% Personal and up to 6% company-matched
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.