Head of Robotics Software
Emeryville, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 4, 2023
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
The Head of Robotics Software will lead teams that are responsible for delivering the end-to-end performance of our main robotics applications. This role is focused on software but leverages your understanding of AI and hardware. The teams are located in two different geographic locations (Emeryville, CA, USA, and Shenzhen, China). You should be well-versed in English communication and are expected to spend time in both locations. You will lead the team to complete key software milestones involving project planning, development, testing, delivery, and follow-up support. As a leader, you will collaborate with other functions well and serve as a point of contact with other leaders in other offices.
- Lead an organization of passionate software engineers and production engineers in both the US and China - this is a manager-of-managers role
- Build mission-critical software, from robotic systems to cloud infrastructure, with attention to performance, reliability, security, and code quality - a significant chunk of your time will be spent on actual implementation, design discussions, and code reviews
- Participate in or drive complex, in-depth design discussions between engineering teams in Shenzhen and Emeryville
- Collaborate with, learn from, and support a diverse and cross-functional team, including mechanical, electrical, and software engineers, AI/ML researchers, and deployment teams
- Written and oral fluency in both English and Mandarin
- Experience with designing, building, deploying, and maintaining complex production-grade systems
- Technical leadership skills including a solid understanding of software-design principles, API design, and platform architecture
- Experience leading a team and mentoring both junior and senior SWEs
- An impact-driven mindset—willingness to work in a variety of technical areas as needed in order to solve real problems and deliver business impact
- Basic proficiency in Python and familiarity with concurrent programming
NICE TO HAVES
- Working experience with international companies in China
- People management experience in companies with similar values (learning constantly, striving for empathy, and taking on the impossible, together)
- Experience working in related fields such as autonomous driving, cyber-physical systems, etc.
- A broad knowledge base and interests ranging from SWE / AI to HW
Base pay is one element of our total rewards package which may also include comprehensive benefits, equity, etc., depending on eligibility. The actual base pay offered will be determined by factors such as years of relevant experience, skills, education, etc. Decisions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited PTO and Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and company match
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.