Emeryville, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 7, 2023
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
The Covariant Brain is a Robotics Foundation Model that powers all robotic applications at Covariant. The Brain is a collection of state-of-the-art models, algorithms, and APIs that enable all intelligent behavior of the robot, from perception to 3D object understanding, grasp sampling, ranking, motion planning, and control. As a Research Scientist at Covariant, you will help us advance Covariant Brain to be a foundation model for robotics that can power an even broader range of different applications and can adapt on the fly with human inputs.
- Strong knowledge and experience in any of the following areas: modern computer vision (including but not limited to depth estimation, segmentation, occupancy estimation, NERFs), large language models, motion planning, dynamics modeling, robotics simulation
- A track record of coming up with new ideas or improving upon existing ideas in machine learning, demonstrated by accomplishments such as first-author publications or projects
- Ability to own and pursue a research agenda, including choosing impactful research problems and autonomously carrying out long-running projects
- A solid mathematical and statistical foundation with an understanding of how to apply ML concepts (e.g. training, optimizers, regression, classification, etc.)
- Proficiency in Python and experience with tensor libraries (e.g. NumPy, PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Clear communication, organization, and collaboration
Base pay is one element of our total rewards package which may also include comprehensive benefits and equity etc., depending on eligibility. The annual base salary range for this position is from $175,000 to $275,000. The actual base pay offered will be determined on factors such as years of relevant experience, skills, education etc. Decisions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited PTO and Flexible work hours
401(k) plan and company match
Lunch and dinner each day (for on-site employees)
Monthly Health & Wellness budget
Quarterly Learning budget
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.