Deployment Lead (EU)
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
Our mission is to build the Covariant Brain, a universal AI to give robots the ability to see, reason, and act on the world around them. Bringing AI from research in the lab to the infinite variability and constant change of our customer’s real-world operations requires new ideas, approaches, and techniques.
Success in the real world requires a team that represents that world: diversity of backgrounds, points of view, and experiences. Our common denominator: ambitious expectations, love of learning, empathy for those around us, and a team-first mindset.
As the Deployment Lead, you make sure that we are on the path to success. Deployment Robotics Engineers, AI engineers, Application engineers, and Hardware engineers all look to you to lead the team. You will prioritize the technical work, manage the schedule, track the effort remaining, and communicate to the customer in regular updates.
You will be responsible for the effective and efficient deployment of our teams of cross-functional deployment professionals - including subcontracted help & partners, balancing customer needs with the needs of the team, regularly communicating plans, planning the team’s professional growth, and the institution of our standard practices!
Your Deployment team is at the heart of Covariant’s growth. As we set up and test new robotic deployments, the team is our first set of hands on the robots and the keyboard, making sure everything is configured correctly, from hardware to networks to software. As we execute pilots, they act as chief debuggers, adjusting code and writing small features to improve our performance. They also make modifications and retrofits to the robotic hardware when necessary. They are intimately familiar with how the hardware and software pieces of our product interact. The Deployment team consists of Robotics Engineers, Hardware Engineers, and Software Engineers. It is your job to lead this team and to be invested in the success of the next deployment as it is in the long-term scalable improvements that continuously enable us to deliver for future customers.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Technical depth in one area with broad-based comfort and familiarity across a range of technical subjects
- Prioritization and Deployment Planning
- Customer communication
- Timeline estimates
- Structuring unstructured work, including writing tests and workflows as necessary
- People leadership
- Plan for deployments with accountability to ensure the people, processes, and materials are in place to set the team up for success
- Balance the needs of multiple customers and timelines, collaborating with counterparts in Technical Project Management
- Support and advocate for the growth and development of a team of cross-functional deployment professionals with expertise in mechanical, electrical, and industrial engineering
- Create onboarding materials and train new deployment professionals as we scale
- Collaborate with colleagues in finance and operations in the US and Shenzhen, China to monitor and analyze cost and delivery metrics
- Collaborate closely with our Product and Customer Success Teams to deliver input for new products and ensure successful customer accounts
- Contribute to the development of standardized best practices across our global Solutions team
- Find, onboard, and manage subcontractors and partners to accelerate and support the deployment of our solutions.
- Travel 35%-50% to support your team
- Master's degree, preferably in a technical field like mechanical engineering
- 7+ years experience, preferably in the materials handling or robotics industries
- 2+ years experience managing teams
- Project management experience
- People management experience
- Clear and effective communication with individuals operating at varying levels of an organization with a range of experiences and backgrounds
SAMPLE WEEK IN THE LIFE
- Monday: Fly to the Netherlands to visit the order fulfillment center of a customer. The team is in the middle of a pilot, and you know they’re facing a lot of challenges because the SKUs picked are very diverse. Take a few minutes to talk about safety with the team! Pitch in and help the team think through solutions to any problems they are facing on-site. Take the team out to dinner.
- Tuesday: Make sure that everyone on the deployment team is clear on their roles and responsibilities, and that they’re interacting well with Customer Success and Product Managers. Meet with the warehouse manager and make sure that we’re interacting seamlessly with the client. Fly home.
- Wednesday: Meet with the rest of the Deployment team & other cross-functional colleagues to shape the company goals for the next quarter. Review and approve timesheets from the prior week to ensure that our onsite data is being captured correctly. Conduct 1:1s with members of the team. Look ahead at the schedule and coordinate to ensure all of our sites will be staffed appropriately in the coming weeks.
- Thursday: Meet with the recruiting team to figure out how we can get more deployment engineers in the door. The sales team is doing a great job…too great! You’re always interviewing, hiring, and recruiting.
- Friday: Confirm that your team is clear on their goals for the following week and ensure that nothing is standing in their way of achieving them. Coordinate with other departments like Product and Customer Success to be sure that your team is set up to be successful! Review safety near misses and follow up with the teams if it is required.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
STRIVING FOR EMPATHY
TAKING ON THE IMPOSSIBLE, TOGETHER
Private medical insurance coverage for you and your family
UK Holidays: 25 days + 8 Statutory (EU Countries TBC specific to region)
£200 Learning budget per quarter - books, courses, etc.
£35 wellness budget per month - gym membership, fitness classes, etc.
Pension - 6% Personal and up to 6% company-matched
At covariant.ai we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Covariant.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.