Senior System Hardware Engineer
Senior System Hardware Engineer
The Elevator Pitch
Do you have a keen sense for problem solving and enjoy troubleshooting technical issues? Do thrive as a key player in solving both vexing system-level and electrical signal chain issues? Are you skilled at building relationships, efficient handoffs/communication, and helping to drive hardware development roadmaps?
In this Senior System Hardware Engineer role, you will ensure escalated field issues get addressed and lessons learned inform better tools and processes, both in R&D and in Manufacturing going forward. You will also help develop and implement metrics, tool improvements, and/or workflow automationd to make our products more reliable and more serviceable! You will help eliminate single points of failure in the system diagnostics and troubleshooting process. This role is essential to helping Evolv achieve (and exceed) its goals for Express installs.
Success in the Role: What performance outcomes over the first 12 months will you work toward completing?
In the first 30 days, you will:
- Become an integral team member and get up to speed on who's who in Engineering, Tech Support, and Field Service
- Learn Express electrical systems and proprietary PCB boards from top to bottom
- Learn MyEvolv Portal tools for Field Service support
- Attend weekly Engineering/Service Activity Review meetings
- Learn our existing troubleshooting tools
- Participate in Evolv’s 3-day technical training course
- Attend at least one system installation at a customer site
Within three months, you will:
- Be able to triage Jira tickets escalated from the field:
- Recognize when tickets represent a hardware issue vs. a software issue
- Recognize when tickets contain enough/correct information and remedy when they don’t
- Handle the issue yourself or pass it on to someone better suited
- Begin to provide remote support to Evolv Field Service engineers troubleshooting on-site
By the end of the first year, you will:
- Be the go-to expert for hardware-centric field issues both at Evolv and for Field Engineers on the ground
- Help reduce the escalation rate for at least one common hardware-related field issue
- Specify new tools and/or tool improvements, working with the engineering managers on how to support the serviceability of Express products best.
- Improve efficiency through automation wherever possible.
- Document common troubleshooting workflows
- Collaborate with Evolv’s quality team to create metrics to track the rate and type of issues escalated into Engineering, and establish baselines and objectives for measured improvement.
- Identify process gaps, proposing and helping to implement improvements
- Streamline the escalation of field service issues to engineering
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Use curiosity, critical thinking, logical reasoning, problem-solving, and electrical system knowledge to unravel technical field issues.
- Strengthen hardware development and troubleshooting proficiency by learning the circuit boards used in Evolv products, understanding error codes, and working with the software and firmware teams to improve self-test reports.
- Work well with others from various backgrounds, including electrical, mechanical, manufacturing, software, and firmware engineering.
- Communicate effectively with Technical Support, Field Service, R&D, Manufacturing Engineers, and customers.
- Recognize and exploit opportunities to make the field service issue resolution workflow more efficient and effective by placing tools, automation, and process where needed
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team?
- You will join the R&D team, reporting to the Sr. Director of Electrical Engineering and working closely with the Sr. Director of Software Delivery
- You join a growing sub-team of inter-disciplinary System Engineers who interface closely with the Field Service organization and focus on escalated field issues.
- The R&D organization comprises more than 60 dedicated developers and managers with deep expertise who are always willing to help.
- The team culture is based on trust, collaboration, kindness, authenticity, courage, and fun!
Where is the role located?
- This role is based in Waltham, MA, with flexibility in being remote some days.
- Travel – maximum 30% to customer sites
If you want to solve one of the most difficult issues of our time and save lives doing it, you want to work at Evolv. We are passionate, knowing that what we do and how we do it can affect life or death situations for our customers. At Evolv, you will have unparalleled exposure to all aspects of our business, working with a talented team that shares our vision for a safer world. If you are inspired by invention and gain satisfaction from seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture, Evolv will be a great fit.
- Equity is an important component of every compensation package
- Flexible work environment
- Unique culture
- Medical and dental insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited vacation policy
- $300 per quarter to spend on the perks that are most meaningful to you
- Tuition Reimbursement