R&D Scientist Intern
The Elevator Pitch
Do you want to gain hands-on experience as an R&D Scientist? Are you eager to learn and develop critical skills for your future career?
In this 10-week R&D Scientist Intern role, you will make significant contributions to the Evolv Innovation Center’s goal of expanding Evolv’s technical capabilities. Not only will you be gaining critical skills in R&D, but you will also have the opportunity to be exposed to the ins and outs of the company, while getting exposure to all other departments and how they operate.
Success in the Role: What are performance outcomes over the first half and second half of the internship you will work toward completing?
In the first 5 weeks, you will:
- Understand Evolv, our product and culture, what we do, and why we do it
- Initiate asking questions when needed and working cross-functionally
- Actively engage in learning (reading literature, asking questions, familiarizing yourself with the project, and challenging yourself)
- Meets predefined milestones
- Take pride and ownership in the accuracy of your work
- Embrace our core values by being kind and respectful to others at Evolv and peers within their internship program.
In the last 5 weeks, you will:
- Effectively communicate R&D results during your final presentation
- Gain positive feedback from team members and peers
- Demonstrate skill development
- Show evidence of personal/professional growth
- Have learned to think like someone in R&D (willingness to succeed, inquisitive, and persistent).
- Have a better idea of what you want or don’t want out of your career
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Propose new ideas based on your research findings
- Investigate and evaluate at least one new idea
- Your work will be a substantial contribution to future products
- Work with both hardware and software
- Demonstrate proficiency in working with Linux OS and Python
- Participate in data collection
- As with any R&D project, problems will come up that will not have a simple solution. You will demonstrate an understanding of when to solve problems independently and when to ask for help
- Show effort in resolving problems on your own and take initiative in finding solutions
- You will learn how to effectively communicate scientific results to a broader audience
- Demonstrate effective communication through your final presentation
- You will show kindness and be respectful towards teammates and peers throughout your time at Evolv. This will be evaluated by receiving positive feedback from team members throughout the internship.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team?
- You will be joining the Evolv Innovation Center Team, reporting to the Senior EIC Program Manager.
- The team culture is one based on building trust, collaboration, on-going development through kindness, authenticity, courage, drive and fun!
Where is the role located?
- The location of this role is based in Waltham, MA with some flexibility in being remote some days. We do not provide relocation assistance at this time.
What is the pay range?
- The hourly pay range for this internship position is $22-$26 an hour. Our pay ranges are determined by your current level of education.