Director of SEC Reporting
The Elevator Pitch
Evolv (EVLV) is looking for a Director of SEC Reporting to steer SEC reporting accuracy and compliance. This position not only commands mastery in SEC regulations, US GAAP and SOX compliance but also offers the opportunity to lead and innovate within our esteemed finance team. With strategic impact on financial transparency and investor relations, it's an exhilarating challenge for those seasoned in SEC reporting, promising significant growth, cross-functional collaboration, and the chance to drive Evolv’s narrative in a thriving tech landscape.
Success in the Role: What are performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
In the first 30 days, you will:
- Participate in EvolvED, our new hire orientation program
- Candidate has begun meeting and building rapport with key personnel in other departments.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of Evolv's strategy, initiatives, and the Finance function's current challenges, pain points, and opportunities.
- Has initiated the process of building rapport with key personnel across different departments, laying the foundation for cross-functional collaboration.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Exhibit a robust understanding of key accounting pronouncements including ASC 606 and ASC 842 crucial for Evolv's operations.
- Effectively assume ownership of the SEC reporting process, ensuring a smooth transition.
- Establish solid working relationships with key personnel in other departments and external providers, fostering a collaborative environment.
- Successfully file Evolv's 10-Q/K using Workiva, ensuring both precision and a punctual submission.
- Collaborate with the accounting team supporting complex accounting issues and auditor requests.
- Begin reviewing sales contracts and coordinating with Legal and other departments to understand and communicate potential accounting implications of non-standard contract terms.
- Begin understanding our equity plans and reporting.
By the end of the first year, you will:
- Assumed complete ownership of the quarterly and annual SEC reporting process, which includes internal and external reviews, along with all technical accounting responsibilities.
- Participate in quarterly earnings process, including review of earnings release scripts, preparing supporting financials and other related support.
- Developed strong relationships with external auditors to ensure accounting issues are agreed upon timely.
- Assumed management of equity and stock compensation accounting.
- Successfully filed Evolvs 10-Q/Ks in Workiva, ensuring both accurate and timely submissions.
- Oversee the preparation of Evolv’s annual proxy statement and all Section 16 filings.
- Ensure strict adherence to SOX compliance in relation to all financial reporting and equity controls. Identifies areas needing improvement or change, ensuring sufficient resources are allocated to meet all needs and deadlines, including SEC reporting, technical accounting, and responding to audit requests.
- Been a key factor in reducing or eliminating internal control material weaknesses.
- Promote and uphold the core values of Evolv, reinforcing the company's reputation and trust with investors, analysts, and internal stakeholders.
- Enable Evolv to adapt to tighter SEC reporting deadlines, particularly as the organization transitions into a large accelerated filer status.
- Stay abreast of accounting implications for new corporate initiatives, ensuring that SEC reporting accurately reflects the company's evolving business model and activities and the business is appropriately informed of those accounting implications.
- Have a full command of the sales review process and potential accounting implications of non-standard contracts and be the trusted business advisor on revenue recognition.
- Accurately report on key metrics impacting the company, prepare technical accounting memos, and ensure that financial statements withstand audit and regulatory scrutiny.
- Provide effective management and mentorship to the SEC reporting staff, fostering a culture of excellence, continuous learning, and innovation.
- Champion process improvements and efficiency, leveraging technology to enhance the SEC reporting processes and procedures.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Strategic Financial Acumen:
- Ability to understand and interpret complex accounting issues, and provide guidance that aligns with the company's strategic goals. This includes the preparation of comprehensive, well-reasoned technical accounting memos and accurate financial reporting.
- Regulatory Compliance and Technical Expertise:
- Profound knowledge of SEC regulations, US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance. The ability to ensure that all financial reporting adheres to these standards and can withstand regulatory and audit scrutiny.
- Monitor and ensure timely identification and business compliance with evolving guidance.
- Leadership and Team Management:
- Strong leadership skills to manage, mentor, and develop the SEC reporting staff. Ability to promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement within the team.
- Cross-Functional & Strategic Collaboration:
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with key personnel in other departments, fostering a collaborative environment and ensuring cohesive operation across the company.
- Strong communication skills to effectively convey financial results and accounting-focused guidance to investors, analysts, and internal stakeholders. This includes the ability to prepare and present complex financial and accounting information in a clear and understandable manner.
- Problem-Solving and Innovation:
- A proactive approach to problem-solving and process improvement, continually seeking ways to enhance efficiency and effectiveness in SEC reporting processes. This includes leveraging technology to improve processes and procedures.
- Adaptability and Resilience:
- Ability to adapt to changing regulatory requirements, particularly the challenges of meeting tighter SEC reporting deadlines as a large accelerated filer and under SOX 404(b). Resilience in managing the pressures and demands of the role.
- Resource Management:
- Skill in managing resources effectively, ensuring that the department has sufficient resources to meet all its needs and deadlines, including SEC reporting, technical accounting, and audit requests.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team?
You will be joining the Accounting team, reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer.
The team culture is one based on building trust, collaboration, on-going development through kindness, authenticity, courage, drive, and fun!
Where is the role located?
This position is primarily located at our headquarters in Waltham, Massachusetts, offering a degree of flexibility with the possibility of remote work on certain days. For an exceptional candidate, a fully remote arrangement is available, necessitating occasional travel to the headquarters.
What is the salary range?
The base salary range for this full-time position is $138,000 – $222,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in role posting reflect the base salary only, and do not include commission, equity, or benefits.