Computer Vision Scientist - Federal
Arlington, VA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 1, 2023
Our mission at Orbital Insight is to understand what we’re doing on and to the Earth. We do this through our cloud-based SaaS platform, Orbital Insight Terrascope and on-premise offering, Terrabox, by ingesting geospatial data at massive scales, then applying state-of-art AI/ML and Data Science algorithms at scale.
Data Science and Computer Vision Science are the heart of our products at Orbital Insight. We live at the intersection of all our company’s engineering, product, partnerships, and solution engineering efforts. We deeply understand all geospatial data sources we bring into our TerraScope Platform, including satellite and aerial imagery, and a wide array of geolocation data. We understand our customers’ business questions, pain points, and how our products aim to answer those questions and soothe those pains. Our Model Engineering team builds algorithms and capabilities that expose the valuable information contained within the multitudes of data we ingest and put it into context for our customers. We strive to define, and continually refine, the State-of-the-Art in AI and analytics, and are on our way to building the best computer vision team in the world for large scale automated analysis of remote sensing imagery and geolocation data.
As a member of our computer vision team, you will have the opportunity to tackle new and interesting computer vision problems and work with a brilliant team of scientists and engineers. Our team has a true passion for data and a commitment to building the highest performing models and products for our customers. If you join us, you’ll have the freedom to approach, own, and solve problems creatively. Come be a part of our journey to build the world’s best team in AI and analytics for overhead imagery and other geospatial data.
This position will be based in our Arlington, Virginia office but will require some work at customer sites in the DC area. Occasional travel to corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California may be required.
This position requires active TS/SCI clearance.
Who You Are
- Motivated and passionate about solving computer vision problems and pushing the boundaries of what is possible today
- Enjoys thinking out-of-the-box to develop innovative and creative solutions
- An exceptional communicator, capable of conveying complex technical ideas and information in readily-understandable ways to a wide audience
- Proactively diligent, and you operate with conviction, yet you recognize when you’re wrong and easily move past your own mistakes
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where problems can be under-defined and ambiguous--you are capable of bringing clarity and delivering innovative solutions
- Build high-performing and scalable computer vision models
- Work on all stages of model development life cycle from defining data requirements, metrics, and labeling needs to deploying final models as part of the product
- Rapidly iterate algorithms to improve performance and generalization to new data
- Collaborate with stakeholders and end-user product owners to understand computer vision needs
- Stay current on the latest ML/CV research by reviewing papers and implementing state-of-the-art concepts
- Effectively communicate results and ideas via presentations and technical reports
- Active TS/SCI Clearance required
- Periods of working at customer sites in the DC area will be required
- BS degree in a STEM field (e.g. statistics, mathematics, machine learning, computer science, physics, engineering, etc.)
- MS or PhD preferred
- 5+ years of industry experience in Computer Vision
- Experience in using Deep Learning for object detection, classification, and segmentation tasks
- Experience in applying these techniques to overhead imagery (satellite and other aerial imagery) a big plus
- 3+ years experience coding Computer Vision models in Python that live in production systems
- Familiarity with frameworks like Pytorch and Tensorflow and other tools such as MLFlow, Tensorboard, Kubeflow, and Docker
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience with Agile development methodologies
At Orbital Insight, we believe that a diverse workforce that reflects the diversity of our planet is the way to achieve our mission: to understand what is happening on and to the Earth. Orbital Insight is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. We do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes and will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Orbital Insight.