Sr Devops Engineer - Public Sector
Arlington, VA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2023
Our mission at Orbital Insight is to understand what we’re doing on and to the Earth. We do this through our cloud-based SaaS platform, Orbital Insight Terrascope and on-premise offering, Terrabox, by ingesting geospatial data at massive scales, then applying state-of-art AI/ML and Data Science algorithms at scale.
In order to achieve this, the cloud infrastructure engineering team is motivated to provide a robust infrastructure layer between the platform and the cloud providers. This software layer is centered around Kubernetes to provide cloud agnostic feasibility and requires deployability on customers’ cloud environments.
Our work spans multiple areas including cloud agnostic infrastructure, networking, orchestration, distributed storage, and online/streaming processing. If you enjoy applying computer science fundamentals to real-world challenges and building scalable systems, you will fit right in.
In order to take our government business to the next level we are looking to hire a DevOps Engineer to join our Public Sector team. This DevOps Engineer will work on developing, adapting, and extending our commercial software products to fit the needs of our government customers.
At Orbital Insight, we work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, computer vision, and intimacy with user needs can create entirely new products that give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. Our pioneering products help people answer questions that cannot be answered today.
We value experienced engineers who already have a breadth of experience in multiple areas -- databases, devops, machine learning, API design, and more -- and are eager to learn new areas and new technologies.
If all this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you.
The position is remote with as needed to travel to customer sites in the Washington DC area. Occasional travel to corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California.
This position requires active TS/SCI(DOD) clearance
- Lead deployment and maintenance of our flagship product Terrascope, from GovCloud to JWICS You are the primary engineer for these initiatives
- Ability to lead a cross functional team for a government engagement including facilitating design and implementation, as well as project management, to meet contractual deliverables
- Design and develop the software layer between the platform and the cloud providers
- Understanding the requirements for cloud provider agnostic and air-gapped environments
- Be responsible for the runtime infrastructure under our production system and all developer resources
- Automate packaging and testing for releases and bootstrapping
- Attending technology conferences that will help support learning, as well as, bringing ideas from greater community that can further improve our solutions
- 5 Years Minimum Experience as DevOps Engineer
- 3 years experience with Kubernetes to deploy, scale and manage containers with configuration using Helm charts
- Comfortable at command line and working within Linux operating system (preferably RHEL)
- Experience working with Docker or other Container technologies
- Experience working with cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, or Azure . Configuring networking (DNS, routing, load balancing) will be a good example
- Command of a scripting language such as Python or Bash, as well as Git
- Proficiency and experience with infrastructure as code (IaC) tools, such as Terraform
- Experience with JWICS integration (PKI, NPE Certs)
- Experience with air-gapped system / on-premise deployment
- Experience with databases and message queues
- Experience with Cloud/Kubernetes security
- Computer science, electrical engineering degree or related experience
At Orbital Insight, we believe that a diverse workforce that reflects the diversity of our planet is the way to achieve our mission: to understand what is happening on and to the Earth. Orbital Insight is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. We do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes and will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Orbital Insight.